Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Redfield VS Leupold

Hi Chaps,
    Can anyone give an indication of the difference between the Redfield and Leupold rifle scopes. Both are out of the same stable (I presume then same technology) both have lifetime gaurentees but there is a price difference. I have Leupolds on two of my rifles and they are brilliant but becoming costly. Is the Redfield noticably inferior to the leupold?
    I hunt up to 250m max and all I need is a scope that holds its zero from hunt to hunt without a problem. I have had my Leupold for 3 years now and unless I change my ammo, the scoped does not need any attention! POI remains the same time and again. Can redfield do this?
    I am looking to upgrade my .222 with a 4 - 12 x 40 Redfield.
    Thanks

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Redfield VS Leupold

I have no personal experience with Redfield, but my Leupold has not been rezero'ed in the last five years. It has been thrown in the back of an old Land-Rover and generally treated rather roughly all this time, and still shoots exactly to point of aim every time.

Why muck with what works?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

The Redfield Revolution scopes are made by Leupold at the same plant as all Leupold scopes are and the same material is used for tubes. Leupold won't say too much about the differences in sealing, optics, etc. but, as always, you are not going to get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Tazz. If the price difference is enough and your dealer has put some in the field with good feedback and you don't necessarily need the ultimate, I'd say the Revolution would be worth a try. Paul, however, has a good point, and if this was a rifle I used a lot, I, too, would likely spend the extra for a Leupy.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

My Main working rifles have Leupolds on them and that is the way it will stay BUT my .222 gets used the least and has a rather inadequate 6 x Tasco on it. I was thinking of putting the redfield on the .222 for the odd occasion when we do the Springbuck thing or club shoots or just plinking. I have the Leupold 3 - 9 x 50 LR reticle on my .243 and that is a potent combination and will remain untouched. I have has ome very good feeedback from a PH friend in the last hour - he has many USA connections and they swear by the Redfield scopes. Apparently it was off the market/made in the East for a whle but now it is back in Oregon at the Leupold plant and the men State side are pleased.
    Any American members out there who can comment?

Here is a pretty thorough review of five lower cost scopes, including the Redfield. Looks like the glass is made offshore but the tube in the US. This particular reviewer says the Vortex seems the better scope but it costs a few bucks more.

http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensiv...opic21176.html
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks Ikor - interesting reading to say the least!

User

The CEO of Leopold was at a presentation in centurion organized by Formalito a few weeks ago..
    He was specifically proud of the fact that both Redfield and Leopold scopes are made in USA and that very few competitors do the same..
    He was even prepared to honour warrenties of scopes that we can buy of ebay... (actaully suggested it)

User

Seems like the Redfields are made in the Phillipines

I had a redfield and it was a very nice scope, cant say anything bad about it.
    MOLON LABE

User

Redfield 4-12x40 on my 270 and 375 Ruger and they work extremely well for me.

My 2c

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast