Thread: Norinco M1897

User

Default Norinco M1897

After watching this video I really want one:

Now I assume the original Winchester M1897's are quite hard to come by. And if one finds one in good nick it will probably cost a bit of cash.
    How is the Norinco?

Default Re: Norinco M1897

Ahh...the 'Chinchester'

I had one for a while but never shot it. The plan was to send it to be reworked by one of a couple of places that specialize in doing that for Cowboy Action shooters, but I decided I would not use it enough to justify the total cost.

The guns are rough when new, and while there have been some reports of soft parts, I don't think that is really all that common an issue. The heat shields can sometimes come loose on the trench guns and they tend to throw k@k patterns with modern Buck past 12-14 yards due to having short, blunt forcing cones. They also share all the quirks...good or bad as you may see them...of the originals, having no trigger disconnect, that thumb-slicing bolt coming back over the pistol grip, tiny front bead, exposed hammer, etc.

For something like gun games I think they are just fine, but I would not choose to use one for serious business, preferring instead a Remington 870...MUCH better gun for it.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I guess you have a point there concerning the ergonomics of the gun. Was thinking of getting it for some fun shooting, but with the whole mission of applying for the license and the waiting period it is better getting something decent than just something for fool around with.

The Winchester M1897 looks badass and I like historic firearms.

User

Hi

If anyone know of a Norinco 97 (exposed hammer) for sale, please let me know.

Radhir