Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Old Skool FBI video

I was expecting a secret US government alien autopsy video during the first few seconds :)

Are those 38 Special revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I was expecting a secret US government alien autopsy video during the first few seconds :)

Are those 38 Special revolvers?
    Hah! That they are...Smith & Wesson 4in skinny barreled Model 10 mostly but I think the 'Game Warden' guy may have had a Colt Officer's Model. Both were plain but very capable revolvers...still are although neither is made these days. Note... no speedloaders, the old Hank Sloan holsters, the exaggerated squat / wide elbow draw / then elbow tucked in, close range position, etc.

But remember that the men who developed some of these things survived an era of very seriously dangerous bad guys during the 1930's with these techniques and gear.

One day I'll post Special Agent 'Jelly' Bryce's story here...maybe the fastest and best of all the old lawmen of the Depression era.

And as far as why all the one hand shooting, well, we are now starting to recognize that we need more of it and many schools / agencies are adding more to their training regimen. So old becomes new again in a way...
    Last edited by ikor; 04-08-2011 at 19:25.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Old skool is cool! Love the music, heh-heh.

Good vid, thanks Ikor.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    One day I'll post Special Agent 'Jelly' Bryce's story here...maybe the fastest and best of all the old lawmen of the Depression era.
    As revolver aficionado I have read about Jelly, seen a sequence of photos of his fraction of a second draw.
    Would be interesting to read what you have.

The change from these methods came with Coopers "modern" style.
    FBI clung to revolvers longer than most.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

What an absolutely amazing story... http://www.gutterfighting.org/jellybryce.html
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Or generally handguns either, but that vid was made a looooooong time ago and we have come far since. Lots of still valid info there however...and fun to see the old cars, uniforms, walkie big enough to beat a horse to death, etc...
    +100

Nice vid, thanks

User

Hah! That they are...Smith & Wesson 4in skinny barreled Model 10 mostly but I think the 'Game Warden' guy may have had a Colt Officer's Model. Both were plain but very capable revolvers...still are although neither is made these days. Note... no speedloaders, the old Hank Sloan holsters, the exaggerated squat / wide elbow draw / then elbow tucked in, close range position, etc.

But remember that the men who developed some of these things survived an era of very seriously dangerous bad guys during the 1930's with these techniques and gear.

And as far as why all the one hand shooting, well, we are now starting to recognize that we need more of it and many schools / agencies are adding more to their training regimen. So old becomes new again in a way...
    Interesting vid, the ricochetes were unexpected. Good to know.

Might be "old skool" but I have a buggered left shoulder, shoot with right hand and a few of the close combat shooting techniques might be useful for guys like me. Will chat it through with big T.

On an aside on revolvers and their use back in the day two things.

1) my father has on original 1930's S&W .32 colt. Bought it from Pilgrims Rest where it was used to guard gold transports leaving the mine.

2) My Granddad was the last mine manager of Pilgrims as a functioning mine, his EDC carry piece was a hammerless Webley .32 short; at one point in the 1940's, while going about his duties, he was accosted by 3 BG's, "Rather large Basotho's" as my Granddad described them. All three were dispatched within short order using standard lead ball.

Seems back in the day revolvers worked just fine with lead ammo. Just my 2c worth

User

Like it Thanks !

User

Techniques and equipment change, but the basic principles stay the same. Good post. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2