User

Default NEW Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC Review

I’ve just received my new Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope with the BDC reticle in the post and I must say, I’m impressed. After finding very little information on the new line of ProStaff scopes from Nikon, I decided to do a little write up to give others a better idea of what they are paying for and if it will meet their needs so others don’t need to shell out hard earned cash like I did and not know quite what they’re going to get so hopefully, if they order this scope, they’ll get exactly what they want. The review will start off with general comments and once I get it mounted, I’ll comment on the repeatability of adjustments and such. Here goes…….

Numbers/Features
    • Reticle: BDC
    • Finish: Matte
    • Actual Magnification: 3x-9x
    • Effective Objective Diameter: 40mm
    • Eye Relief (in.): 3.6-3.6
    • FOV at 100 yds (ft.): 33.8-11.3 @ 100 yds
    • Length (in): 12.4
    • Weight (oz): 425g / 15.0oz
    • Adjustment Graduation (1 click): 1/4 MOA
    • Max. Internal Adjustment: 80 MOA
    • Parallax setting (yds): 100
    It also comes with finger adjustable and instant zero turrets that are both low profile and easy to use and the aforementioned BDC. The lenses are fully coated, sunshades are optional and that’s about it once you cut through the marketing drivel. I don't know if the Lifetime Warrenty applies in South Africa, but if it does, its a huge tick in the pros column! From what I've read, Nikon has a great reputation for honoring this warrenty, I just hope the SA distributors are as good.

Initial Impressions
    The scope is packed neatly with all the necessary pamphlets and the warranty card. The scope itself looks great aside from the “ProStaff” badge in gold on one of the turret covers- it’s a little bit too much for me. Aside from that, the magnification ring is nice and big, the finish is neat as would be expected and I was pleasantly surprised to find quality, although not flip open, lense covers included.
    Upon closer inspection, the turret covers were found, unfortunately, to be made of plastic and more than once I found myself cross threading them while fiddling, this could be a problem in the field. The Turrets themselves are nice pieces, though the click isn’t as loud as the other scopes we have, the feel was positive. The turrets also are fairly low profile which is a huge bonus for hunters in that they are less likely to be caught on vegetation etc. than other finger adjustable turrets.
    Looking through the scope, the clarity and brightness was good and the reticle was very fine, unlike the models other reviewers of the Nikon BDC reticle had who complained it was too course/thick for target work in their opinions. I cannot say whether these reticles were of the same width or not but suffice to say the new reticle is thin enough for target shooting in my eyes.
    The magnification ring is sturdy and easy to manipulate while the eyepiece focus is nice, I had to max out its adjustment to focus the reticle(I have 20/20 vision) so this may be a problem for some. But I doubt Nikon would make such a big mistake.
    Low light performance
    I took the scope out and shone into the back of the garden with a 3 cell Maglite and compared the ProStaff to our old faithful, a Tasco 4x44 from back when Tasco was still made by the japs, a Ultra Optec 4x32 and a VERY old Bisley Delux. Needless to say, it performed better than all of the above, but that’s no surprise considering the competition. The ProStaff was still extremely clear even up to 9x magnification which surprised me but its reticle was a little on the thin side for my liking which make it hard to pick up against darker coloured targets although it was just fine against a palm tree trunk. I will have a look at it through the red light we’ll be using for jackal when I get it back and I’ll let you know how it looks.
    BDC Reticle
    Admittedly I have zero experience with any reticle other than your standard 30/30 and post type reticles but I like the idea and logic behind this BDC reticle for hunting. While I love it, some of its detractors have resorted to personal attacks on any proponents to bully them into agreeing on some forums. My point being, it’s a very hit or miss thing.
    The free Spot On ballistic software on Nikons website is great in my opinion. You just choose your scope, your bullet and its velocity along with your zero range and the amount of magnification and the website generates estimates as to what range each target circle will represent zero. On top of this you can expand the BDC circles and get ranges for the top, middle and bottom of each circle. Because the subtensions are so close(the furthest is 2 MOA from the top of one circle to the bottom of the other), this allows precise holds with minimal adjustment needed from the turrets! 4 clicks at most up or down from any aiming point and you’re zeroed! Take for instance that you shoot a 168gr Sierra Spitzer Boat tail at 2900ft/sec, the center of the third circle is zero at 387 yards and the center of the forth is zero at 504 yards. With their respective bottom and top at 407 and 487. The gap between these is 2 MOA. Suppose you range the target to 450 yards, what now? I know that this requires 9.1 MOA elevation hold for it to be on zero but my aiming points are 10 and 8 MOA respectively, hence, 4 clicks up and aiming off the top of the forth circle will be as close to exactly zero as makes no difference. No need to count out 36 ¼ MOA clicks to end up 9 MOA high and hence, on zero for 450 yards. Works for me and probably for other that are maths nuts, for the rest of you, I’m sure you have your own systems. But I’ll let you guys know how the above system goes when I get it onto the range.
    Overall Thoughts
    I like this scope so far and if it keeps impressing me like it has, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to fellow hunters and even your run of the mill rifleman who is/are looking for a low budget scope that works well and provides a great sight picute. For me, the image quality, target knobs and variable power make it a great scope, even without the BDC. With the BDC it has the potential to save alot of time with adjusting the elevation as explained above while shooting Springbok and such at long range and this may mean the difference between getting that trophy or not when it comes to it in the field.

I hope my "review" was informative and helpful, let me know if you have any questions or thoughts and tips for future reviews!

Default Re: NEW Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC Review

Thanks for the review
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Primo661,<br>Have you done a tracking test? At the range, zero scope at 100m. Then go up 24 clicks and fire 3 shots. Go right 24 clicks and fire 3 shots. Go down 24clicks and repeat. Finally go left 24 clicks and repeat. If all is well, your last group should be superimposed on your first group and you should have 4 groups making up the corners of a square.<br>Then, you can measure the exact distance between groups and divide by 24, this should give you the exact distance the reticle moves per click adjustment.

Does the impact point shift when you adjust the maginfication from 3 - 9 and back to 3?

User

Thomast, I haven't had a chance to mount it yet but I intended to do what you suggested as soon as it is mounted up which should be in the next few weeks at most. Although from the older versions reviews, tracking and POI test results were positive, I dont see why Nikon would have gone backwards in the regard but its worth checking none the less.

User

Hi Primo661

Please let us know the result of the tracking test. I have just bought a new 30-06 and am looking at which scope to get and found your review very interesting.

Thank you

User

Hey guys, sorry I took so long to reply, Varsity got a bit hectic and I didn't get a chance to get to a range.

I managed to get out the other day. Sighted through the bore to get the gun on paper, and shot a group at 25 meters that was just an inch and a half directly below the bullseye. At 100 meters my first shot was dead on, so I immediately proceeded to put it through a box test.

3-shot group center
    16 clicks up, 16 left; 3-shot group
    32 clicks right; 3-shot group
    32 clicks down; 3-shot group
    32 clicks left; 3-shot group
    16 clicks up, 16 clicks right; 3-shot group at original center

The scope performed perfectly, with the box a perfect square and the last group right on top of the first one, so I set the turrets to zero. Next I went to my top target, fired a group at 3X, then at 4X, then at 6X (the box test was conducted at 9X). No zero shift so far as I could tell. In short, the ProStaff’s adjustments and internal construction are as good as it gets for me.

Hope it helps

User

Thanks Primo

What rifle is the scope mounted on?

:- P

User

Thanks for the feedback. The Nikon scopes seem to be very good value for money.

User

No problem at all. Its on a K98 Mauser chambered in 308 for the time being.

User

I finally got out the other day and did some hunting with the scope. We headed out the day before to punch some holes in paper to check out a new load that I had formulated. We started off with our old load and immediately I began to question why I had ever wanted to try improve it. Previously, the best we could manage was a 2 inch group at 100m but suddenly my groups were alot tighter! I don't know if its down to the new Nikon holding zero better than the old Tasco, the thinner reticle or just me waking up a much better shot but I was extremely happy. My best 3 shot group measured just under an inch across while the other was just over that. Very respectable for an standard Israeli issue k98 aside from the synthetic stock, i think.

The next day we headed out to a friends farm in Colenso in northern Natal to get some warthog. Long story short, I got a warthog at about 150m with a heart shot, he ran about a hundred meters and went down. It never ceases to amaze me how far a pumba can run without a working heart. But none the less, I'm stoked!