Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting your knife sharp? (my process of sharpening to shaving sharp/mirror finnish)

Well here is my process to getting a knife from dull, or manufacturer edge to being able to shave your beard with. I have sharpened other peoples knives in the past so if you are interested send me a email or pm. For those wanting to try it themselves.

I recently noticed while playing with the benchstone and a piece of plank that it seemed to be a good angle at around 5 degrees. After some measurement this is what I came up with:

Now the reason for this is due to a video done by another member on various forums.
    Here is a link to his great adjustable sharpening platform:

My method is very similar, except after watching videos of the Bubble Jig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Jp5NLNmMe2Y

I decided to incorporate something similar till I can afford the real Bubble Jig.

The secret is to get a good burr going. This is D2 steel on my Becnhmade Bone Collector profiled to 10 degrees per side.

Good burr

Edge all the way sharpened

No burr, and not hitting the entire edge: BAD!

Then I knock the burr of with white ceramic stone of Lansky

Then strop.

Results

Under 25X times magnification

In the field I use a diamond paddle 600 grit or Lansky Turn box kit. Usually I just use the paddle and lightly knock the bur off.

Total edge reprofiling: Can take up to 2 hours.
    Edge maintenance. Less then 10 minutes to same results as above. In the field the same time. (this can vary depending on the damage to the edge and DONT STOP UNTIL YOU FEEL THE BURR)

Reasons I started with this low angle and constant low angle.
    Well here is a video.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ewerstru.../6/u4rDIFFyXVk
    It requires less force to cut through material.

and I read the book
    The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening.
    Here is a website where you can get the book.
    http://www.razoredgesystems.com/products/books

DMT stones will make the process much faster IMO and of course, this is my process for my needs. I convex certain knives, but EDC and hunting knives are as thin as possible. Your needs may vary, but remember when sharpening.....GET THE BURR!

User

Default Re: Getting your knife sharp? (my process of sharpening to shaving sharp/mirror finni

Awesome write-up, thanks Marthinus!
    Being a hobby Knife maker, I would like to add that you can experiment with the angle, and find what works for you.
    The balance is between being super sharp, or edge holding. If you give it a very sharp edge, you might carve up a single piece of biltong with ease, then need to sharpen it again.
    Make the angle a little bit bigger, and you may find you only have to sharpen it after 20 pieces of biltong.

And as Marthinus said, focus on that bur! Once you break that bur, you have a sharpness that you cannot buy from a shop :-)

{edit}
    Oh yes, let me just add, dont over-do breaking of the bur. You might just start a new bur on the other side :-p

Default Re: Getting your knife sharp? (my process of sharpening to shaving sharp/mirror finni

Nice explanation Marthinus.

Your address please, I have quite a few knives I need sharpened
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Thanks for the kind words!

Just to let a people know, I am willing to sharpen your knives for you. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanx for the info...

Wish i had inet & this idea when i was around 11-14. I use to sharpen the neighbourhoods knives for between R5-R10 a knife back then on a normal grindstone. Hardest part was keeping the angle & this would have made that a whole lot easier.

Since then i've discovered Lansky Sharpeners...

Awesome work Marthinus!

User

Marthinus I have read John Juranitch's book and he says a knife edge guide is a must when sharpening knifes.

What do use for a knife edge? Is there somewhere you can buy these guides locally?

I thought of buying directly from the Razor Edge website but postage is just about the same cost as the products

User

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!

Just to let a people know, I am willing to sharpen your knives for you. Send me a PM if interested.
    marthinus, why not do an actual knife sharpening course

Quote Originally Posted by kurly View Post
    Marthinus I have read John Juranitch's book and he says a knife edge guide is a must when sharpening knifes.

What do use for a knife edge? Is there somewhere you can buy these guides locally?

I thought of buying directly from the Razor Edge website but postage is just about the same cost as the products
    Here is a simple jig, I started out with something similar, but now I just freehand the knife or use the bubble if needs be.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/station.html

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    marthinus, why not do an actual knife sharpening course
    I dont know who might be interested but it is worth a shot, anyone interested?

User

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    Here is a simple jig, I started out with something similar, but now I just freehand the knife or use the bubble if needs be.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/station.html

I will give that a try.

Thanks Marthinus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast