Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Competition loads

What is your competition load? After using 124gr loads in my 9x19 for years I recently dug out a packet of the 147gr stuff I used to use for pins. Using enough MS to get them to 900fps gives of a power factor of 132 which I like for the safety margin with almost no muzzle flip. I am really happy with this load what works for you ?

Default Re: Competition loads

I'm using 124gr Frontier CMJ Cone nose heads and S121 which burns nice and clean (smells great too, but that could be my Nitrocellulose addiction talking ;D

I was having problems with the lead heads I was getting, also 124gr weight, so I decided to try the CMJ's. I really like them and I'm not paying much more for them than the caster is charging for his lead ones!

I like the frontier 124 CMJ flat nose running at a +/-1080 fps which relates to +/-133/4 factor. I find that the Glock and the Vektor operates nice with this combination. I am however a bit old school and remain with MP200 and have not experimented with MS200 or S121. I want to try MS200 but not S121 as I do not think that a 9mmP is designed for that fast a powder. When the frontier is not available (or the supply of R'000 is low) I'll shoot any cast that I could find but prefareably in 124. The 124 is something that feels just right and to me just also work better on a pepper popper than 115. Just before the 2006 IDPA Africa Champs my reloading press broke down and I could not get it up and running and got hold of a supply of NGA 138 grain 'subsonic' which was suppose to run at something like 900 fps and was supposed to be 'cool' to shoot as the recoil/muzzle lift was so much less. This was not the case and it felt worse than my normal 124's. After chrono I discovered why, they were actually running at a +/-1050 fps giving a factor of +/- 145. I have loaded years ago some 158's in a CZ75 which had no problem feeding them and operating them and the gun was nice and stable. However I could feel that the slide action becomes sluggish and it is if you are waiting for the slide to complete its cycle. I do think that the heavier bullets at the same factor level feel and be more controleable but it makes the gun feel sluggish (to me)

I started using S121 cause I was given a can for free when I had no powder, it's also a bit cheaper than MP200 and you use a fraction less of it. As I said it burns very cleanly and leaves hardly any residue in my gun while with MP200 I get quite a bit! I've taken my loads up to 4,4gr S121 with no problems but if I'm getting enough velocity with Somchems max load why subject the gun to wear and tear unnecessarily?

I'm not a fan of heads over 130gr as I don't believe that the 9mmP operates best with.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    I've taken my loads up to 4,4gr S121 with no problems but if I'm getting enough velocity with Somchems max load why subject the gun to wear and tear unnecessarily?
    Geoff,

I am not quite sure what you are saying ??? I agree to not subject a gun to unnecessary wear and tear but I do not fully understand your statement. Can you just please clarify....

What I meant was, I'm making factor with 4,1gr S121 and although I've reloaded some rounds at 10% above Somchems max and had no problems, I didn't see the need to make that one my regular load as I was achieving what I needed with the lower one.

I realise that S121 is a fast burning powder and as such is not generally used for the 9mmP but I just wanted to share my experiences reloading with it with the group.

Head weight wise I believe that if you want to shoot heavy heads at 9mmP pressures get a .40S&W .

Geoff,

Thanks, now I undestand what you were saying. For competition, why factor at say 145 if you need 125. Yes, my competition loads factor at about 135, but I just find that this is a nice point where both the Vektor and the Glock just work quite well and I do not consider this to high. I aslo did some comparisons with PMP 115g and they factor at 130.

Corne,

The last time we chrono-ed at a match some of the guys got a nasty surprise!

PMP 115gr ball 980 f/s average - Browning HP
    Nobeltech .45 ACP 560 f/s average - Bull M5!!

Best 9mmP I've shot recently that I didn't reload myself was out of a cardboard box that a friend (who shall remain nameless) gave to me which came out of a brown plastic bag ;) I'm sure you know what I'm talking about....

User

I rather like the 147gr 9x19 loads. They give you almost zero muzzle flip enabling you to shoot that little bit faster. They generally shoot straight and they seem to smoke less than lighter lead bullets at the same factor.

It they float your boat, go for it. If we look at the Carry Ammo debate, we are suggesting that a 147 at somewhere in excess of a 1000 fps might be the answer. I do not think that you are at high pressure although one concern is the use of MS. This is a fast burning powder that will reach peak faster than MP and on a heavier slower bullet that now moves slower, I do have a concern with the dynamics of pressure. There might be a problem area which might give a pressure problem as it reaches peak pressure faster, the bullet moving slower and thus higher pressure peak which might be off the chart. Therefore doing this with S121 might be dangerous, MS200 high and MP200 acceptable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast