Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Competition loads

I was speaking to one of the older shooters at our club recently and he was telling me that S121 works really well in .45ACP's. He said that S121 is modeled on the American Bullseye which, as the name implies, was designed to suit target shooters using the 1911.

If that's true with a 200gr - 230gr head at +- 850f/s why shouldn't it work as well in a 9mmP with a heavier head?

User

Geoff I an guessing here but it could be the fact that 9x19 operates at almost twice the pressure of 45ACP but it is just a guess.

User

Corne my experience with 121 is limited to loading THVs at ridiculous velocities. So I cant speak from experience but you could have a point there. I think the current difference between MS and MP is minimal but I would probably use MP or 221 for loading sd ammo. My current MS load which sends a 147 gr at 900fps displays no pressure signs. I know this is not always a reliable indicator but it is a very soft shooting load.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Geoff I an guessing here but it could be the fact that 9x19 operates at almost twice the pressure of 45ACP but it is just a guess.
    Good point BigT.

According to Somchems Reloading Booklet, by comparison S121 seems to be on par with Bullseye. So this points seem to be valid.

According to Modern Reloading-Second Edition by Richard Lee, there is one load for Bullseye in the heavier range and that is for 147g XTP that does 1010 fps and a 32900PSI and in 45ACP there is a load listed for 230g Jacket bullet at 905 fps and a 16200PSI. Screening the 9x19 data, there are very few loads with Bullseye (4 loads in 27 possible loading categories) and in 45acp it is 6 in 20 possible categories. In 9x19 the max bullet weight listed is 150g and in 45acp it is 260g.

I thus remain a bit sceptical regarding the use of S121 and thus Bullseye in 9x19 especially with heavier bullets. The dynamics differ between 9x19 and 45acp as can be seen with the PSI figures.

Going of the topic a bit, but since it was mentioned earlier in a post by Geoff....

I have used PMP (Limited) and have never had any problems with it. Both the Glock and the Vektor worked just fine and when chrono'd the made factor. However, and this is going on hearsay and I can't confirm this, there is some PMP ammo in 9x19 floating around that is suspect. Apparently PMP had an order to go to the USA, they did a batch and it got rejected due to poor performance (ie FPS). This batch would cycle the gun but will not reach factor and this was then dumped in the SA marked at no discount. This could be the explanation for the sub standard performance as quoted and I have also heard from other shooters experiencing the same problem. I repeat that this is going on hearsay and I can't substantiate this statement.

Nobletech : I have never used this at all but this is also not the first time that I have seen this substandard performance from their ammo and I personally would be very carefull of this brand.

Gents.
    Beware of S121 and heavier heads than as per Somchem specs.
    I've had .40 cases blown off at the back with 215grn heads whilst well within the required velocity for power factoring.

Hi Para,

Do you think that I should not use S121 and 124gr Frontier CMJ's for my 9mmP competition load?

Para,

This is what I am scared of. The velocity and thus the factor is OK, but the time/pressure curve spike to fast to high due to a combination of factors and you have major catastrophe on your hands or unnecessary high wear and tear on your gun.

MP stands for Pistol Powder, use it in your pistol.

S221 will give you a cleaner burn and you will like it.

MS is also fine but will eventually will shorten the life of your pistol like S121.
    If you want the gun to last and you are happy with being 11th in the country in IPSC stick to a heavy head and MP200 or S221.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast