Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What home invasion experience taught me

Thank Sky123 for taking the time to write and get us thinking.Our community patrolls got the house burglary's from 3 a day down to 1 a week over the past year.But Its seems that the warmer weather from last week made the worms crawl out of the woodwork.But this new cold spell drove them away again.All that is left to say is the affirmative Christmas shopping season has started - BE CAREFULL

User

Thanks for posting Sky123. Did firing a rifle indoors permanently hurt your hearing badly? Also, no problems from SAPS using a hunting rifle for defence?

Quote Originally Posted by sky123
    .........BUT go and wrestle with one of your buddies for 2min and youl realize how long 2min can be!!
    As the others said thanx for sharing. I think each of us can learn something from someone else's experiences.

I would like to comment on your statement quoted above. I am not criticizing your actions but I think we need to move away from the whole concept of wrestling with our attackers. Let me explain what I mean.

I have been practicing Combatives with Swattie for around 6 months or so and one of the big revelations I have made is the fact that I tend to get into a wrestling match during a confrontation. Wrestling is all fine and well when you mock fight with your buddies but it saps energy and is actually very counterproductive when you are fighting for your life. This concept of wanting to wrestle and get your hands on the attacker is apparently more prevalent with bigger guys. We want to get our hands on the BG so that we can rip them apart so to speak.

We are also taught from a young age not to fight dirty which further contributes to the wrestling mindset. This wrestling tendency is something I am working very hard at unlearning. Instead of wrestling with the BG we should be throat slamming, ear ripping, eye gouging, groin and shin kicking, elbow punching, knife slashing, etc until the threat (BG) is neutralized. We should aim to unleash the most violence we can in the shortest time concentrated on the weakest areas of our attacker using the most efficient system of delivery.

This all requires a lot of training and the correct mindset but could ultimately mean the difference between being a victim or winning the fight and protecting yourself and your loved ones.

Something to think about in the future. But big thumbs up to you, you won the fight and that is all that counts.

Good contribution, Rudes.

I agree with your deductions on why we want to get a grip on the BG and also our erroneous predisposition of fighting cleanly and "like a man".

You say: "We should aim to unleash the most violence we can in the shortest time concentrated on the weakest areas of our attacker using the most efficient system of delivery."

I say, well put!

Sweet

User

This is an excellent post sky123. Ive been through 1 incident so far, and i know the feeling. All we can do is talk about these experiences , and learn from each other, and hopefully when the SHTF, we will SURVIVE through better training, and planning.

PS there was an email sent to me a few months back, the incident in Randfontein where the taxidermis shot the BG's with .375......half a head pic....eish bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    As the others said thanx for sharing. I think each of us can learn something from someone else's experiences.

I would like to comment on your statement quoted above. I am not criticizing your actions but I think we need to move away from the whole concept of wrestling with our attackers. Let me explain what I mean.

I have been practicing Combatives with Swattie for around 6 months or so and one of the big revelations I have made is the fact that I tend to get into a wrestling match during a confrontation. Wrestling is all fine and well when you mock fight with your buddies but it saps energy and is actually very counterproductive when you are fighting for your life. This concept of wanting to wrestle and get your hands on the attacker is apparently more prevalent with bigger guys. We want to get our hands on the BG so that we can rip them apart so to speak.

We are also taught from a young age not to fight dirty which further contributes to the wrestling mindset. This wrestling tendency is something I am working very hard at unlearning. Instead of wrestling with the BG we should be throat slamming, ear ripping, eye gouging, groin and shin kicking, elbow punching, knife slashing, etc until the threat (BG) is neutralized. We should aim to unleash the most violence we can in the shortest time concentrated on the weakest areas of our attacker using the most efficient system of delivery.

This all requires a lot of training and the correct mindset but could ultimately mean the difference between being a victim or winning the fight and protecting yourself and your loved ones.

Something to think about in the future. But big thumbs up to you, you won the fight and that is all that counts.
    Totally agree there! It is a mindset change from the way we are raised.

But my reference to wrestling was in reply to a previous post that the CPF or buddy system reacts within 2min. Now if you have to fight, 2min is an EXTREMELY long time!! An to get an idea of this I suggested to wrestle with a buddy for 2min so that bloggers here could get an idea of what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Dinat View Post
    PS there was an email sent to me a few months back, the incident in Randfontein where the taxidermis shot the BG's with .375......half a head pic....eish bad.
    At first I did not get your point, Dinat...but then I realised you meant bad for the BG! [which is how it is meant to be] Pics of dead BGs sometimes do bring out the harder sides of us, but if just one BG gets to see them and it makes him think twice about getting up to some the SH*T he is planning - surely that is useful?

Sweet

Rudes well put & honestly i couldn't think of a better way to put it. When you decide to attack keep attacking & escalating the force as needed till the threat is neutralized...

I think you have noticed it when we train that i tend to be on the other side of the "see saw" i tend to try and avoid a physical fight, being the smallest guy in the class, for as long as possible and that is also as non productive as trying to be to physical & wrestle the dude/s.

It seems to be a fine line between becoming physical & backing off a bit. Like Swattie said that Monday we had the mock knife attacks how long do you want to "run away" before you decide to stop the threat. The longer you run away the luckier he might get.

So yes mindset is a bit thing that i'm still working on as well...

Quote Originally Posted by sky123

Totally agree there! It is a mindset change from the way we are raised.

But my reference to wrestling was in reply to a previous post that the CPF or buddy system reacts within 2min. Now if you have to fight, 2min is an EXTREMELY long time!! An to get an idea of this I suggested to wrestle with a buddy for 2min so that bloggers here could get an idea of what I mean
    Agreed Sky, 2 minutes is an eternity in a fight. My comments about the wrestling mindset was not aimed at you, reading it just triggered a chain of thought that I commented on as I thought it would add value to your OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post

Wrestling and other grappling based arts are extremely important to learn. As important as stand-up and clinch as well as shooting ECQB. Gravity always rears its ugly head in a tussle and add to that uneven or slippery surfaces, loss of balance and BG's who may knock you to the ground, knowing how to get back onto your feet with another human trying to stop you becomes a tad important. You shouldn't grapple by choice, but you do need to know how to move efficiently if it so happens you end up falling.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast