Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Night Shoots

User

Default Night Shoots

We had our first ever night shoot in this month. It was great to see how you do the same stages shot in the day and then in the dark.

Can anyone give more detail how they run a night shoot? (Lights, torches, car lights, head lamp) confused0083

Default Re: Night Shoots

If u can get a car to the range U can use its headlights as backlights for the stage. Alternatively switching on the hazards can simulate flashing lights. Using torches to illuminate targets is also an invaluable exprience. Guys & girls with comps are fun to watch at night ;)
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I have done a few night shoots and it is fun and a eye opener...... This is something we do not do enough in the light that the SHTF situation could very well under such conditions.

There is various options that could be used. You could use the park/dim/head lights of a vehicle or the indicators. Also a strategically placed light. Torches is also a option. To use of a headlamp could also be incorporated in a stage and also no lights at all and thus just the ambient light available.

Night shooting should IMO only be attempted by 'experienced' shooters in a competition format for safety reasons as it becomes much more difficult to control a person under such conditions like finger on the trigger and other issues.

Some ideas for you on night shoots.

Depending on the situation:
    If hear a noise I retrieve my gun and torch set out to investigate in proper/preferred touch technique - no drawing of firearm - both are already in hand.
    Second situation total surprise draw both firearm and tour ch. Becomes challenging if you shoot as whole COF with the tour ch and force the shooter to go back to it after the reload -see some pretty unorthodox tour ch storage methods. Word of caution be very careful that the shooter does not sweep tour ch hand with firearm.

For lighting can use various options: Car light are very realistic, have shooter start in the car seatbelt on etc. Shooting from low light into darkness. The only problem is that the COF's are then not the same for everyone. Night shoots should not really be about winning, but rather about learning to survive for real. Shooting without any type of tour ch should also be done a lot, at close range, as it you are attacked for real this is most likely what will happen.

Can also practice tour ch techniques as part of you regular day time comp to ensure that they are done correctly. If waiting for darkness use this time to conduct a practical with demo of tour ch techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Goblin
    Night shoots should not really be about winning, but rather about learning to survive for real. Shooting without any type of tour ch should also be done a lot, at close range, as it you are attacked for real this is most likely what will happen.
    +110% on this comment.....

User

I for one would love to see more nights shoots at IPSC clubs in Gauteng.... happy0065

I also agree with Corne, safety needs to be a priority....

Quote Originally Posted by acidblood
    I also agree with Corne, safety needs to be a priority....
    I once attended a night shoot at a club. The club caters for multiple shootings sports and the IPSC leg did the night shoot. Some other club members (non IPSC shooters) decided that this was a good idea and joined in with the blessings of the powers in charge. The RO's had their hands full in controlling the non IPSC shooters that are not clued up with the general safety rules of the sport. I would not say that they were 'unsafe' but the RO's had to be extra vigilant and lend a hand or two on the odd occasion or two.

A night shoot is not the place for a novice and if you have a firearm for SD purpose and you are not participating in IPSC or IDPA in general, make sure you know your way around the sport and its safety rules before attending a night shoot. It just becomes so much more difficult for the SO's / RO's to monitor your actions.

More home work done, shows that it is presently getting dusk / low light from just after 6 o’ clock in the evening. This is when we as humans can perceive that it is starting to get dark; by 18h30 it is already significantly dark. This situation continues to improve for holding night shoots until mid June (shortest day of the year).

This is a challenging for those of us who use tritium night sights on our hand guns as it is not dark enough for us to take advantage of these fire flies mounted on our guns.
    Phasing of the moon must also be taken into account when planning for a night shoot although it is good to expose a shooter to no moon, quarter/half moon and full moon conditions.

Sight pictures in this half an hour dusk period become more and more challenging. The Massad Ayoob stress fire technique works well at this time as the front sight is raised above the back sight and becomes easier to find than in a conventional sighting (notch in groove). This becomes even more difficult when you try to find your sight against a dark background. I recommend that you use dark T shirts. Think about it if I were an attacker I would stack the odds as much in my favour. If I was going to conduct an attack this would include wearing dark coloured clothing.

The importance of proper gun fit becomes evident during night shoots, as you fully understand the importance of the gun being in a straight line with your forearm once you can not see your sights. Just about all experienced shooter can make shots out to 3 to 5 meters without using their sights, but just by raising the firearm to eye level and firing – they may just never have done it before, or do not(mentally) believe that they can do it.

Another very useful technique Massad Ayoob teaches is to use our hearing as we have been doing since the arrival of man on the planet- he has just integrated it with the gun. This involves locking the gun out in front of you in an isosceles hold. Should you hear a noise off to the side you turn to look at the noise, locking up you shoulders and turn you whole upper body at the hips like a tank turret. As you look at the noise (something we have been doing for centuries!) your muzzle is now aligned with the potential treat – obviously positive target ID still needs to happen, but at least the firearm is already orientated at the threat – remember NEVER to shoot at noises or only a shape at night! Positive target ID is imperative!

Although muzzle flash has never been an issue for me during night shoots, THV’s do tend to be very bright (11 grns MS 200). I believe muzzle flash also serves as a major philological advantage if you are doing the firing, conversely it can also work against you if you are on the receiving end of gun fire. Refer the cover of Massad Ayoob’s book Stress fire - the only source of light used for the picture in the 125 grn .357 Magnum revolver which he if firing – impressive hey!?

User

Looking forward to my first night shoot this Friday. Also another point closer to DS status (only two to go)

Good thing I did a search, I need to go get some clear eye protection.

User

Night shoot was definitely worth the trouble. A real "eye-opener".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast