Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default recipe for pigeon breasts

Hi Guys

I'm looking for your recipes to cook/braai/fry pigeon breasts in the field. I usually go shooting with my mates who don't ever eat the birds (they give them all away to the local populace) and would like to get a few good recipes that I can use to entice them into eating some what we've shot.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Re: recipe for pigeon breasts

Hmmm....

I can recall a recipe in Magnum a while back that advocated the use of bacon to wrap the breasts (never thought I'd use that word on GS, but hey... hurhurhur) in, marinade it a bit & then braai lightly. Like venison, it dries out rikitik on the flames.

Maybe some of the other, more 'in touch' members can enlighten us, e.g. dhignett & his venison recipe book...??

Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Preacher Man, give me a day or two.

I have em recipes in one of my books, (Yip here behind the curtain of boerewors we read em books wiff a pictures in)

I need to scan em and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by philipbasson
    (Yip here behind the curtain of boerewors we read em books wiff a pictures in)
    hpy71

happy0065
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

You need:

olive oil
    lemon juice
    origanum
    garlick
    salt & pepper
    seasoned breadcrumbs
    egg
    sunflower oil

- Marinade the breasts in olive oil, lemon juice, origanum and just a little garlick.
    - Let the breasts lie in the marinade (in the fridge) for 3-4 days. It is best to use a glass bowl - don't use a metal one.
    - Remove the breasts from the marinade and season with salt & pepper
    - Dip the breasts in beaten egg then roll in the breadcrumbs until nicely coated
    - Fry in a little sunflower oil

Preacher,

it seems that most of the recipes needs preparation at home; maybe a coolerbox in the bakkie can hold your muti, then after the shoot you can make the fire & make the food??

User

Preacher Man

Just out of interest , what's your hit rate on em pigeons.

Mines Two 12 gauge's to One pigeon on average.

Depends on how close I can lure them hpy71

I've been known to collect 2 birds to a box at times (beginning of season) and at others 15-18 per box of ammo.

I generally use #5 32gram and although my hit rate seems a bit lower than #6's or #7's I find that I kill them 'dead in the air' making it simple to mark the spot they go down in for a successful retrieve. My friends and I have a simple system of calculating 'hit rate' - we just divide the number of empty cases by the number of birds in the bag making it very important to recover the birds - we don't leave 'doppies' in the field at all and ensure that our 'retrievers' collect all the cases and empty boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher
    Hi Guys

I'm looking for your recipes to cook/braai/fry pigeon breasts in the field. I usually go shooting with my mates who don't ever eat the birds (they give them all away to the local populace) and would like to get a few good recipes that I can use to entice them into eating some what we've shot.
    Find an anthill. Dig a cavity in it to use as veld oven. Cover the birds (feathers & all) with moist clay in a thick layer. To thin a layer & the clay will crack open & burn your lunch. Pack on top of coals in your oven. Wait for about 1/2 our 45min, obviously depend on size & quanity of birds packed in. Seal oven door with aforementioned clay so you do not set the lands afire. When they are finished as you peel the clay off it will pull off the feathers. Then pack your guns away & go to nando's.....

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762
    Find an anthill. Dig a cavity in it to use as veld oven. Cover the birds (feathers & all) with moist clay in a thick layer. To thin a layer & the clay will crack open & burn your lunch. Pack on top of coals in your oven. Wait for about 1/2 our 45min, obviously depend on size & quanity of birds packed in. Seal oven door with aforementioned clay so you do not set the lands afire. When they are finished as you peel the clay off it will pull off the feathers. Then pack your guns away & go to nando's.....

happy0065 hpy71 happy0065

Best recipe yet!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast