Thread: BP firearms.

User

Default BP firearms.

Hi all

A good friend of mine has sparked a bit of interest in me concerning BP guns and I am eager to delve a bit deeper into the whole Black powder thing.
    What I would like to find out though is:

1. What does purchasing one entail wrt licensing these days. (ammendment of acts)
    2. What is a good brand of BP rifle for a beginner? (looking at the Thompson rifles)

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    DylanM

User

Default Re: BP firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanm View Post
    Hi all

1. What does purchasing one entail wrt licensing these days. (ammendment of acts)
    2. What is a good brand of BP rifle for a beginner? (looking at the Thompson rifles)

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    DylanM
    1. No need for a license if you intend to get a muzle loader. You will however need to do a black powder competency in order to purchase the powder.
    2. Pedersoli is a very good make with big range of rifles. You can contact "Lindley Arms" as they are the agents and speak to Paul on 0828086176

Have fun

User

Have a look on Whitesmoke.co.za Pedersolis are expensive There are a lot of excellent reproduction rifles on the market. A lot of smokers will be more than willing for you to join them for a shoot. Try out the different rifles then decide

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

afaik Classic Arms in Witbank are the Pedersoli agents

User

If anyone is interested in BP guns, we are having a fun informal competition shoot at Rashoop shooting range on Sep 10 2011. Anyone with a bp gun can come and shoot and spectators are also very welcome.

Dylamn, we are also shooting some BP rifles and handguns this coming Sunday (4 Sep 2011) so if you want to have some shots with some BP guns, come and join in, and you can shoot some of our guns.
    The range is in Brits, not too far from Centurion. It's the old Rashoop military range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilema View Post
    1. No need for a license if you intend to get a muzle loader. You will however need to do a black powder competency in order to purchase the powder.
    There is no black powder competency, it is a "Muzzle loader competency" the applicable Sasseta U/S is known as "Handle and use a muzzle loading firearm."
    Now there are tales doing the rounds, that some ingenious DFO's interpret it such, that owners of eg. Martini Henrys -BREECHLOADERS- now have to do the Muzzle loading unit standard. Now how on earth can you be expected to do training in Muzzle loaders to shoot a Martini?!?!?! You already need "handle and use a manually operated rifle " U/S 119651 to licence the Martini. (For myself, I dont mind - I shoot both muzzleloaders and breech loaders.)

Anyway - Muzzleloaders are great fun. Do make use of MIC's invitation.

Willie barnard

User

Muzzleloaders are great fun,you cant go wrong with the thompson centre if you want a modern inline rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    If anyone is interested in BP guns, we are having a fun informal competition shoot at Rashoop shooting range on Sep 10 2011. Anyone with a bp gun can come and shoot and spectators are also very welcome.

Dylamn, we are also shooting some BP rifles and handguns this coming Sunday (4 Sep 2011) so if you want to have some shots with some BP guns, come and join in, and you can shoot some of our guns.
    The range is in Brits, not too far from Centurion. It's the old Rashoop military range.
    Hi Mic

Sorry, I could only check up on GS today again. Would have been nice to come out to the range on Sunday.
    Please let me know when another range day is arranged.

Regarding licenses: So if I understand correctly a "profficiency" for muzzle loading rifles is required and after that application can be done to be able to posess Black powder. Where do you hand this application in?