Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DYI Blueing

User

Question DYI Blueing

I came across a MAN Magnum from 1999, in which they give you a DIY blueing process. I haven't read the article yet. however my first thought was "surely a gunsmith is better trained/equiped to do this for you". 1. Why would anybody want to risk "damaging" a rifle by doing their own blueing. 2. Why would you want to do your own blueing. 3. How safe is it? 4. Out of interest sake, is it an "easy" procedure? personally I would not take the risk, I would kust take my rifle to a gunsmith to do the blueing for me. Frederick.

Default Re: DYI Blueing

I suspect reading the actual article may just clear up a lot of these issues. I have personally stripped and refinnished two of my firearms (stripped etc), but the surface treatment was still outsourced. Where I personally like doing the work myself, I don't recommend it to everyone as it's a lot of work. Very satisfying when done but just remember, if you stuff it up, it's your baby.Good luck & try reading the article.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 02-09-2011 at 20:30.

I don't understand your post. If you are so scared of doing it (without even reading the article) then don't do it.
    BTW the trick is in decently cleaning the metal, and the curing afterwards. The results can be amazing.

It is also depends on whether you want to do hot or cold blueing. I recently tried cold blueing with a kit I imported, and although the results was ok, it definitely does not compare to the hot blueing done by a pro, so in the end I had the gun redone by a the pro.. So unless you really know what you are doing I would not recommend DYI blueing...just my humble opinion
    Gun shows are like strip clubs, you get to see alot, touch a little, but nothing ever comes home with you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I don't understand your post. If you are so scared of doing it (without even reading the article) then don't do it.
    BTW the trick is in decently cleaning the metal, and the curing afterwards. The results can be amazing.
    hi Chops, I am curious as to what experience the Gunsite forummers has with blueing their own projects/rifles. Or maybe it just the "unknown". I will read the article and reply later on when I have done so. Excuse me if my post is confusing, not my intention.

I have done it on 2 handguns years back, and the results were excellent. RP, the specific article described a hot bluing process, cold bluing is not meant for large areas, no matter what the manufacturer says.

Chops, I Had to learn the hard way ...

User

do any any of you guys have some before and after pictures by any chance?

I didn't take any pictures, and the guns in question is hard use guns, so is in need of another jobbie. Maybe I'll do something in the near future if I get the time (don't know where I'll get that though!).

User

When my old man stopped gunsmithing he put all his smithing books away. A few years back I wanted to do a cold blue on a mates pellet gun (still have not got round to it) and I was handed a thick file containing various bluing methods. I was also given a few chemicals that need to be mixed and applied to the barrel once cleaned and finished and boiled in water. This mixture is then applied to the barrel evenly and left to dry (mixture to be the same temperature as the barrel). This is done about 6 times consecutively and after each application has cooled the barrel is cleaned off using a light steel wool and water.
    I remember him doing it on s/s shotguns especially as the bluing salts (hot bluing) eat away at the solder that bonds the ribbing and the two barrels together. I still have the pellet gun with me and will try it by myself , all I need to do is build a tank in which I can boil the barrel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast