Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: 8x57mm SJ Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    Nevermind the gun,that cammo jacket is special.I have one similar to it.
    Thank is was my fathers, he was a school teacher in Rhodesia in the 70's near Chipinga and he got the jacket doing the obligatory call ups everyone did and claims he did nothing special besides shitting himself acouple of times he moved back to RSA when he met my mother in '76

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Thank is was my fathers, he was a school teacher in Rhodesia in the 70's near Chipinga and he got the jacket doing the obligatory call ups everyone did and claims he did nothing special besides shitting himself acouple of times he moved back to RSA when he met my mother in '76
    haha You still need to look after that jacket or send it my way.

User

Thank you kindly for your responses and much appreciated advise..I need to apply for a license to be able to own this rifle...first time license application...is it possible to apply for a classic type of license ?

Gert, please tell us if you managed to find a bolt for the rifle.
    In your first post there was no bolt visible in any of the photos.

Your rifle is seen as modern by the legislators, and you will have to licence it like any other rifle. There is also no provision in our law for "owning only" as opposed to "owning and using". (As is the case in certain European countries.)
    The ammendments (January 2011) to the FCA deleted the definition of "Antique firearm" in favour of "Muzzle loading firearm." in any case.

Step 1: Find an accredited training provider in your area.
    Register for Unit standard 117705 Knowledge of the FCA, 60/2000.
    register for 119651 "Handle and use a manually operated rifle or carbine."
    (Seriously consider Handgun and shotgun too, while you are at it, some service providers will offer you a good deal.)
    Step 2 : Do all the tests and training the service provider required of you, and receive your certificates from him.
    Step3 : Go to SAPS and apply for "Competency certificate to posess a rifle."
    (and handgun and shotgun - if you did them too.)
    Step 4: Wait about 4 months for comp. cert.
    In this time Get:-Form SAPS 271 filled in in black pen by you and previous owner of rifle. - Copies of previous licence and ID of former owner.
    -Letters of recommendation from at least 2 people who know you well.
    -Letter from a landowner stating that you may hunt on his land.
    -Written motivation from yourself stating what game animals you want to hunt with the rifle, and why the rifle/calibre is suitable for that purpose.
    -SABS standard rifle safe installed.
    Step 5: After getting your comp. cert. hand the above in at your DFO, and wait, if your lucky 6 months for the licence.

Gert the most important is to get your application for comp cert done. Nothing starts moving untill then. And spend a lot of time reading previous posts on Gunsite. There is a wealth of information.

User

Willie
    Thank you for the information regarding application for licence. Ek het die slot Vrydag gekry en sal `n foto plaas met die slot in plek...ek lees nou op om meer te weet rakende die patrone wat vir die wapen sal werk. Ek gaan die week begin werk maak van die aanoek proses. Thanks again to all the people for their input..I will call on you again..

Hi Gert !! hoe gaanit ?
    cheers

User

Hallo BullZN

All is fine this side of the country, I am shooting my 8x57JS frequently, started to cast bullets and will shortly cast bullets for my 8x57JS as well.

I am planning to build a new Turkish Wall-nut stock that would looks like my .375 H&H Magnum and my .404 Jeffery. I want all my rifles to have identical rifle stocks that fits my body measurements .

I recently bought a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer from a friend. I have not get around to shoot this .458 MS a lot but will get to it in the future.

Good to hear from you.

Regards

Gert

User

The Mauser 8x57 JS made a lot of memories the past few years. I replace the stock, it was cracked. Johan Greyling gave me one of his Mauser stocks he made himself . Ruan my son shot his first Black wildebeest with this Mauser and he really start liking this great rifle, now he claimed it for himself, it is the only rifle Ruan use to hunt with.
    A few photos of Ruan my son shooting/hunting with "his" Mauser 8x57 JS the past few years:

User

The Mauser 8x57JS will be traveling with me to the Kalahari in July. I will fit a Weaver Grand Slam Scope 5-20x50 ( bought for the 8x68S Mauser in build currently)

The bullets I will be using is the 168 Barnes TTSX make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

What is recoil like your 8x57JS ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast