Default Milling groove in front sight for fibre optic

I hope to get my Ruger Security Six on temporary authorisation by next week. I wish to use a fibre optic sight (old eyes), but they are not available for the Security Six. I'm thinking to have a longitudinal groove milled in the front sight in order to epoxy a 1mm fibre optic tube into the sight so that the top op the tube is flush with the top of the sight. It will only be 5mm long and therefore not gather much light, but I experimented and it should be bright enough for my purpose, pin shooting at 7m. The tube being flush with the top of the sight, will probably result in shooting low, but the Ruger has adjustable sights and at 7m it should'nt be a problem.<br><br>Now to my question. Where on the East Rand can I find a gunsmith or precision engineering works that will be able to mill the groove ASAP (the SA Pin Champs takes place in two weeks time)?

User

Default Re: Milling groove in front sight for fibre optic

Hi Leon
    I installed a Wilson Tactical sight on my Glock and love it, but the red fibre optic feels way (nail in the eye) too bright in bright daylight. Just a idea, why not slap some dayglow paint on your front sight and see if you like it before machining? I`ve got a Speed six with a 2-3/4 barrel but its a bit wild in my hands when shooting pins. Enjoy

Thanks Vaal. Yes, I thought about that, or bright nail varnish. I use green fibre optics in my Glock 17 (Warren Tactical) and S&W M41 (original sight adapted) and do not have a problem with brightness. I also did not experience it being overly bright with a red fibre optic (1mm in both cases). In Pins, however, the level of precision required is not so high. I can imagine that in shooting something like silhouette at 100 or 200 yards, a fibre-optic could be a problem.

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Thanks Vaal. Yes, I thought about that, or bright nail varnish. I use green fibre optics in my Glock 17 (Warren Tactical) and S&W M41 (original sight adapted) and do not have a problem with brightness. I also did not experience it being overly bright with a red fibre optic (1mm in both cases). In Pins, however, the level of precision required is not so high. I can imagine that in shooting something like silhouette at 100 or 200 yards, a fibre-optic could be a problem.

User

Hi Leon
    I think I will try the green tube for mine, after I tried to black out the red with a perm marker. I use mine for IPSC prod shooting. At least neither option for me is irreversible.
    Enjoy

You can't legally give it to an engineering shop unless you stand there while they do it. If I were doing it, my first thought is to make a fixture to hold the barrel, and make the cut with a 1mm slitting saw in a lathe. If you have a buddy with a lathe, it shouldn't be too difficult.