Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Collector raided and firearms confiscated

Hi all. I hope it wasn't a collector on this site, but I saw pics of firearms confiscated earlier this week (East Rand). Apparently a safe inspection was done and allegedly the collector had 'issues' they were not happy with, so weapons were confiscated.

In the pic were some real beauties! The collection seems to go all the way back to WWII....

If it is a mistake then I hope matters are sorted out swiftly, and the members dealt with accordingly. If the charges are real, then I am proud of the SAPS for taking a firm stand - I am sure we all want every firearm owner to toe the line, and not add any fuel to the GFSA fire....

User

Default Re: Collector raided and firearms confiscated

Any link to the news feed or article?

User

No. There is no newsfeed or article. I am a cop, so that is where I got my info.

I actually removed a lot of detail from what I originally wrote (before I posted) so as not to give anything away that may identify the collector. I assume it is a realtively small community, and don't want to create issues or embarrassment.

The point I should have made above is that everyone needs to ensure their legality regarding adherence to FCA, and that they ARE making examples of people. That was really the point I guess.

User

thx dude, point taken.

User

I have a question.
    When a safe inspection is done, the DFO comes out to check that you have a safe and that's it's bolted to a wall. That's easy.
    Does the DFO have any right to ask you to open the safe so he can play with, sorry, inspect your guns and contents of the safe and check out all your ammo ?
    Doesn't he need a warrent to do that because he surely can't suspect that a crime has been committed ?

I'l asking because I don't know and we're all gonna go thru this every 5 years when we renew our competency thingy.

User

No worries!

I am dying to post pics, because there are some super-cool weapons that I would like to know more about, but suspect that they may make it a dead giveaway as to who it belongs to.

I really hope it was a mistake, and the weapons returned. Anyway I'm going to check my safe now to make double sure....
    Last edited by miklin; 15-09-2011 at 16:31. Reason: Spelling

User

Thanks for sharing this info.

User

Thanks for the info ,

User

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCT View Post
    I have a question.
    When a safe inspection is done, the DFO comes out to check that you have a safe and that's it's bolted to a wall. That's easy.
    Does the DFO have any right to ask you to open the safe so he can play with, sorry, inspect your guns and contents of the safe and check out all your ammo ?
    Doesn't he need a warrent to do that because he surely can't suspect that a crime has been committed ?

I'l asking because I don't know and we're all gonna go thru this every 5 years when we renew our competency thingy.
    In order for him to inspect the safe, you have to open it anyway so that he can check the bolts etc....

Quote Originally Posted by miklin View Post
    In order for him to inspect the safe, you have to open it anyway so that he can check the bolts etc....
    That it depends upon the safe. In terms of the SABS specifications no safe over 300 kg needs to be bolted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast