Default Cops arrest dad, leave son all alone

Cops arrest dad, leave son all alone

2011-09-20 10:05

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...alone-20110920

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...alone-20110920

Gerhard Pretorius, Beeld

Johannesburg - Police left an 11-year-old boy all alone after arresting his father for consuming alcohol in public at Loftus Versfeld rugby stadium in Pretoria over the weekend.

Pieter Lues, 41, from Pretoria North and five of his family members and friends were arrested at about 17:00 on Saturday before the match between the Blue Bulls and Western Province.

Lues said members of the Sunnyside police station refused to let him make arrangements so that his son Dylan could get home.

“They told me he had to wait at the car. I just wanted the police to take him with me to the police station so that someone could fetch him there,” said Lues.

Crying

Dylan told reporters he was angry because they took his father away.

“I got a fright because it was my dad and then he was just gone and I was alone at the car.”

Lues said he repeatedly asked police officers at the Sunnyside police station to send someone to find his child, but two police officers only agreed to go after 18:00.

After they went to look for Dylan, Lues was able to get hold of his wife, Diane, to fetch Dylan.

“They only came back after 22:00 and told me they couldn’t find my child,” said Lues.

Friends of the Lues family found Dylan where he was sitting at one of the car tyres after 20:00.

“I was crying because I didn’t know what was going on,” said Dylan.

Lues and the others arrested with him were only released between 02:00 and 03:00 after they signed admission of guilt fines of R150 each.

They said all of their names were spelled incorrectly on the fine slips.

Drinking in public

Lues said he realised the law stipulated that you weren’t allowed to drink in public, but added: “It has been tradition for many years at Loftus to have a braai beforehand and drink a beer. I am not an irresponsible dad, I was not even drunk. I had two sips of the beer on the way to the stadium.

“If something had happened to my child because police wouldn’t help, you would’ve seen sparks fly,” said Lues.

Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Tshisikhawe Ndou said the rule for police when a minor was involved, was to contact a family member on the scene to fetch the child.

“If that could not be done, the minor would be taken to the police station where other plans were made.”

“The family should lay a charge with police and then it will be investigated,” said Ndou
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Default Re: Cops arrest dad, leave son all alone

[b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

As long as they made some money they couldn't care two hoots about who got hurt. Poor kid.

User

It is bad leqving the kid, that should be adressed through the correct channels.

As for the law, it is a law and unfortunately we can not use tradition as an excuse to break the law.

User

This is absolutely disgusting, charges of child abuse should be filled against these officers!

User

all that effort for R150.
    real cost-effective and efficient use of our police, way-to-go guys.

As long as cops like this don't suffer a lot for this kind of action yOur society will sink. No civilization will ever survive thE police you have

Pity the arresting cops are arrogant and seems to me untrained as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    Pity the arresting cops are arrogant and seems to me untrained as well.
    I don't think "arrogant" and "untrained" really describes the seriousness in the skills they lack