Default Tikka T3? Hunting rifle help

Hey all,

Ive been around semi-auto rifles for a while but never into bolt action. Lookin to get into hunting, nuthin huge but more along the lines of Kudu. Dont have much hunting experience but was hoping some of the hunters here could help me out in the right rifle choice. I have been reading a lot and the Tikka T3 in the .308 seems to be an all around great rifle. What do you guys use, and is there a better rifle out there.

Thanks guys

Default Re: Tikka T3? Hunting rifle help

I think it's a very good rifle with a nice rigid receiver, smooth action and accuracy guarantee.

User

Agreed. Tikkas are made in the same factory as the Sako's and generally considered to be; good value for money, highly accurate off the shelf rifles. The .308 Winchester is a plum and would kill anything up to Kudu- sized game at ethical hunting distances, as dead as any bigger calibre would, with less flinch inducing recoil. Obviously with everything else (shooter, shot placement etc) being equal.

User

The T3 has been discussed in the general hunting forum. Have a look.

oh ok, thanks a lot guys

User

I have 3 Tikka T3s - one in 223 Rem, one in 308 Win and a 9.3x62. They are accurate, super reliable and great value. You should be happy with one in 308 Win as it will cover most things up to Kudu (using 180gr bullets such as Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition etc).

User

Before I post my answer I have question about the Tikka rifles. Does the action length vary between a 30-06 and 308W? If I remember correctly they don't like the Sako's do?

Then also, do you reload?

User

Went through exaclty the same situation.
    I did a few month's worth of research, and bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in .30-06
    Pricewize, for comparison you'll be looking at Howa, Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, Winchester M70 and Savage M114. Of course there's also the CZ & Ruger.
    To me, the Tikka felt the best in my hands. Its a bit lighter than the others, but the action is by far the smoothest. The .308 will kick less than the .30-06, so the lightness of the rifle shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
    This rifle is extremely popular in the USA because of its great value for money. .308 & .30-06 are both popular calibres, so finding ammo isn't a mission.
    My choice on the .30-06 came down to the wider variety of bullet weights available. But most guys in the know would advise you to pick one bullet weight & stick to it anyway, so .308 in 180gr is a solid choice.