Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Help with policy

Hallo boys and girls. I had a chat to a fairly senior policy representative of one of our political parties today. They would be interested in submissions for firearms policies.

No I am not guaranteeing that they will adopt our submission but they are willing to look at it.Lets see if we can shape their policy.

What we need is ideas for policy as well as logical reasoning. NO RHETORIC. If we quote stats etc best we can verify sources. Lets be realistic as unfortunately I don't think anyone will consider free guns for everyone. But lets take the opportunity to whisper in their ear a bit louder than GFSA.

So supportable proof about the failures of gun control as well as workable policies. Lets give it a go.

Default Re: Help with policy

It would far more practical to licence the gunowner as opposed to licencing each individual firearm. Cuts down on admin and frees up resources for better prioritization.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Agreed with Thorkind, how great would that be..

BigT, while I sit and think about it - have you seen the firearm discussion on COPE's facebook group? There were a few interesting posts.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...ic=6997&ref=mf

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    It would far more practical to licence the gunowner as opposed to licencing each individual firearm. Cuts down on admin and frees up resources for better prioritization.
    Amen Amen Amen lv29
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Big T, do we post the suggestions/proposals on gunsite or do we email them? :)
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Big T a good start for them would be to look at the draught proposal before the one that we have now, it was already written and a good one at that, unfortunately we are not supposed to know about this one, but it was good!

Quote Originally Posted by SWATG
    .............unfortunately we are not supposed to know about this one, but it was good!
    Huh ???

Hi guys
    this is a serious issue (and I must say there was a great deal of validity in the COPE facebook page.)
    This is an opportunity to contribute to a serious discussion and possibly just possibly have some of our views represented in a national political forum
    I would suggest we make this a no drift no whine thread and post your suggestions, we will give it a short while and then extract all the inputs and forward it as a policy suggestion.

This is the opportunity for every person who has had a problem with the FCA to start making some sort of a difference.

best to all
    abhm

I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    Amen again!

I think that ideally, a law abiding citizen should be considered innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt...thus I believe in addition to licensing the owner and not the gun(s) the burden of proof should be on the government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt why a license should be denied.

Rather than layer after layer of bureaucracy, a computer system should be set up whereby an 'instant check' could be made of any applicant and his / her current license status (which should be for life once issued unless revoked for cause or voluntarily relinquished) A simple phone call by a dealer to a toll free number should result in a very fast records check and approval / addition of a firearm to the license. Private buyers / sellers might have to go a slightly different route but the roundabout method used now is inexcuseable. The SAPS would, of course, have to charge a nominal fee for the service. Here, instant background checks cost $5 but are only mandated by dealers...private sales are mostly unregulated.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Policy suggestions: Lets give it a try
    First timers: Supply 4 character references two of which must be by family members. The other two by friends or colleagues. Basically a reference of your character & lack of predisposition to violence & substance abuse & the fact u have a safe for storage.
    These people are thus legally "vouching" for u. These references are to be reconfirmed every 5-7 years (not resubmitted). Should something specific occur EG drug abuse etc, one of the 4 may/should withdraw there support, this should lead to an informal enquiry as to whether the licence valid. Obviously there should be checks & balances, but the aim is to be reasonable and efficient.

Competency: Present competency test leaves much to be desired. see below
    Firearm for home defence: It is up to them to get training. The piece may not be carried in public. It stays on the property.
    Concealed Carry: A practical & theoretical course (Run by Swattie :) ). Once completed to be renewed by process of ballot. IE the local DFO draws a a bunch of id numbers, & phone's u & says see u at the range on Saturday. DFO puts u through a test. Would prefer standards to be higher than they are now. Incompetent gunowners do not do other gun owners a favour.

Certificate to purchase: Once u are cleared to be licenced then it is a matter of paying for a background check. If all cleared, a certificate to purchase is issued. If computerised should take seconds.

Moving/changing address: IF details change gun owner to log onto a website & list new address or fill in a self addressed card with new details etc on it & post it off. Responsibility rest with gunowner to maintain correct details.

Basically I am hoping & praying for reasonable laws. Unrestricted gunownership is never going to happen & nor do I feel totally comfortable with it.
    Whats happening at the moment is a catastrophe. :'(

My 2c worth.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast