Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    User

Default Re: what ammo do you guys use for edc

Quote Originally Posted by andredt View Post
    These days it is difficult to get any good carry ammo. Only things floating around in large quantity is the magtech GG. Not my prime choice
    Howwsit-AFAIK there seems to be large amounts of Hornady Critical Defense,XTP's and TAP around.Speak to Paul.

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dwak View Post
    Here is a review i found of the Federal Hi-Shok 115gr JHP +P+ (9BPLE) along with some others.

http://frag.110mb.com/
    dwak-do you know if a similar review is available for 40 from the same source?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Yeah, it is still made, apparently some agencies still use it...either that or Federal has figured out that for the cost os a bit more powder they can charge a lot more for the same bullet and case as their 9BP load. It may not be in SA but I seem to recall that there were or are some Speer 115gr +P+ and / or WW loads in SA now and the performance would be similar. Of these the Speer GD bullet would be a better performer for sure due to deeper penetration from being bonded.

Both the old Border Patrol and the Secret Service consistently were behind the curve with their ammo choices back then, but we also have to remember that there just were not many loads back then that could be considered 'high performance' and that those that were almost all used lightweight bullets at higher velocities, such as the load being discussed now or the 110gr+P+ Treasury Load in .38Spl, etc. Given...even now...the rather small number of Police shootings nation wide, if a load seemed to work most agencies would keep using it, especially if it was less expensive than an alternative.

There is a whole bunch of documentation on shootings, bullet performance, etc. out there that gun writers are not allowed access to while people like DocGKR are, and the politics of LE ammo choice may or may not have much to do with actual performance in the field. Modern loads work MUCH better and more consistently than older technology loads do...sadly, not much of the good stuff makes it over to SA.
    Ikor
    Agreed. The Ranger & Speer 115gr +P+ JHP were available here, more recently the Ranger and I have both. Def pref the Speer GD due to general better performance, esp. against barriers, but its still not first choice. Probably because both were surplus in the U.S as LE agencies have moved away from the 115gr hi-vel JHP's, kinda seems we're the dumping ground for the unwanted stuff, even if it is half decent. Pity we're not able to get a steady supply of the 124gr +P Speer GD, even in the 20rnd boxes.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    I have not seen HST in SA. Nobody has brought it in yet.

Lots of Hydra-shok still all over though.
    Its restricted to LE use only by Federal. ATK (Federal & Speer) seem to be hard-assed about sending it over here, but IMHO its all about how much you're prepared to order VS the LE only limitation. If I get my way, we'll get some. Same with Ranger T's/Bonded.

Shark
    Where have you found 9x19/.40 Hydra-shoks? Old stock? Looking for 180gr .40 Hydra-shoks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Its restricted to LE use only by Federal. ATK (Federal & Speer) seem to be hard-assed about sending it over here, but IMHO its all about how much you're prepared to order VS the LE only limitation. If I get my way, we'll get some. Same with Ranger T's/Bonded.
    Ohh I see... Thanks Brendank

User

Quote Originally Posted by dunn2240 View Post
    dwak-do you know if a similar review is available for 40 from the same source?
    I've tried searching for other resources from that website but haven't been able to find anything else.

User

I just did.....*wink*

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10