Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Holsters

Default Paddle Holsters

I refer to my discussion with SWATG at another thread http://www.gunsite.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=1889.0

I tested access etc. with the previous generation Fobus paddle holsters one evening in class. I was surprised to find after a little bit of grappling and obviously turning and twisting on my strong (holster) side (to prevent being disarmed), that two of the three rivets where the paddle was joined to the holster body completely tore out.

I understand that the newer generation Fobus paddle holsters have been strengthened specifically in this area, so this was not an uncommon problem it seems.

I don't have any experience with other makes of paddle holsters, but was wondering if this flimsy connection of the paddle to the holster was common, and if any consideration was given then to it actually being used in realistic conditions?

In training (and after carrying and testing a lot of different blade configurations) I also came to the conclusion that if you want to carry a blade for defensive purposes, a fixed blade of some sort is your best bet under stress. I'm still looking for the ideal solution (and any excuse to obtain new blades ;D) but I think when I receive the new TDI sheath from Geoff a lot of my hassles will have been solved.

I also used to carry two or more blades (if one was good, two was better) but during the same training session as above, I realised that for me carrying more than one blade only gives an attacker the opportunity to get hold of and use one of these against you, because you can't secure everything in different pockets + your firearm - you only have two hands. And if you have to use both hands to secure your gear during a fight where you are not (yet) required to use a higher level of force, you leave yourself wide open. Obviously when the weapon is obtained by the attacker, the force level changes.

It also seems that for me carrying a back-up blade same side as firearm might work better, because you can protect both at the same time, turing the hip away when standing, lying on your strong side when on the ground etc.

BUT, at SWATG's Gunfight Fundamental course I learned that carrying your blade weakside has great merits too (you have to do the course to see for yourself).

I know there are guys on this Forum with much more experience than me on blade and firearm carry - I would like to know what you think? Should you carry all your dangerous weapons same (strong) side, or both strong and weak side?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Paddle Holsters

interesting your bring this up. i own a few fobus paddle holsters and the exact same points were observed. i had a friend ( barry gordan ) break out the rivets and refix with new holes screws. he also reinforced the area using strips of kydex. today they still rock solid.

i now own a few balde tech and i am truely impressed with the design and quality. they have a system that is quite versatile and robust that can chage a holster from paddle to belt loop and also left to right hand.

as far a knives , i carry a curved blade strong side and a double edged pointed knife weak side.

i hope to do a course with SWATG soon ( had enough with bigoted self inflating AH "pros" on ego trips from abroad) there is enough excellent quality home grown talent we can be proud of , and my brief meeting with swatG rings true in a positive way of the old saying ie first impression is the lasting impression.

live out your imagination , not your history.

I have yet to see any paddle holster with which you will not sooner or later draw the holster and gun together...usually at the worst possible time. Thus I do not generally use them for serious carry, much preferring holsters attached to a belt. I know...CompTac, Safariland and others do make nice paddle rigs but I have seen them all drawn along with the gun at one time or other (if the paddle was being used...I have one of the CompTac convertible rigs but use it as an OWB belt rig only) . I have not really examined a late model Fobus but the ones I have seen, I would use only for plinking or as a place to put the pistol while on a casual range, If they have beefed up the rivits that is a good thing, but remember...a real bad guy will not try and spare your holster, and there is more than one way to 'pull' on a gun as well.

I do, however, understand the allure of a paddle holster and that some may find them much more convenient than belt holsters.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

i agree that the possiblity of drawing the gun in the paddle is a reality. make sure to tighten your belt and the better made paddles have a notch that sort of anchors it below the belt , make sure it engages.

I am running a Fobus paddle at the moment, what is a good alternative for my G19, it also needs to be available in SA please.

Right hand, outside of shorts, under untucked shirt. I want retention and no thumb break straps. I could perhaps tollerate a retention system similar to what safariland use on their thigh rigs. I am happy with a belt loop set up to replace the paddle as the rivets have coroded away on my fobus once already.

Sugestions please
    Ryan

blade-tech

CKCS - Paddle or Belt, locally made ;)

Not sure if CompTac is sold locally in SA but they do ship there and I think they will have several styles you would find very useful...(I have their belt holster with paddle option) also, try our own Geoff Carter...who is finally back on line...he builds very nice rigs at excellent prices in CT. You can look him up and drop him a PM.

http://www.comp-tac.com/

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I try stick to IWB carry whenever possible. Conceals well and with with a decent rig pretty fast.

To your other question 47 (and I am definitely not an expert in the field) I keep a knife accessible to each hand. The one on the right would be a primary if the pistol goes down completely. The fixed blade on the left to dissuade disarm attempts.

47 your observations is spot on, we have been saying this for years now, but apparently it is falling on death ears, I want to state this loud and clear, any paddle will and can fail, Blade Tech might be thicker but you will most probably find "bulky" problems. I am not sure when we became so lazy that a belt slide holster is to much trouble to put on? Agreed with T here that inside the waist will work well. As I am writing this we are eagerly awaiting our new sample holsters, apparently the belt slide one has something like 8 places whereby the holster is attached(don't get it but will see) and also they state that you can put this holster on or take it off without having to remove your belt.

One of the issues we have found with normal retention holsters is that the gun sometimes might fall out in a struggle, this happened twice to me, so in my mind this can become a serious problem, so yes I am looking at some other retention idea, don't like thumb straps, for a concealment holster with a retention device the attached holster that we will be supplying might work well, you guys can also take a look at www.front-line.co.il this is the range that we will be doing from now on.

Yes I always have a bit of a chuckle when I see guys kitted out with multiple knifes, batons, guns, sprays etc. Normally when I see someone like this you almost know for sure that they haven't done serious force on force training, retention becomes a huge issue, and normally the "floor" will be littered with weapons. As you get older and hopefully wiser you will soon realise that less is more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast