Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Question for the Glock users

If you could only have two Glocks - which would they be?

If, like me, you do not have your dedicated status (yet) this is pretty much the situation. At the current rate it will take me at least a year to get there, and I currently only have the one firearm.

I already have a G19, and it is awesome. I would love a G17, but I am thinking that a G26/G27 would be a great BUG and something to have in case something happens to my 19.

I like the idea of a BUG, specifically when I am alone at a shooting range, or when traveling etc. Certainly the main aim of getting into guns was self defense, more than it was for sport. I now enjoy the sport a lot more than I thought I would, but it ultimately remains a secondary consideration.

We have spoken about the legalities about carrying a BUG already, I don't want to bring that up again. As far as I can tell the FCA has no stipulation regarding this.

How practical is it to carry a 17 and a 19, either one as secondary? I am considering the G27 as I have an option to buy it for around 5700 and it is in an excellent condition, 3rd gen. My other option is a G17 for about 5500, it is first gen and has a few markings from carry.

That said, what is the most practical way to carry two guns? In a ankle holster or crossdraw?

Default Re: Question for the Glock users

Two 17s.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

And can those both be carried practically at the same time, if so - what would your preference be?

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Two 17s.

I have a 17, two 19s and a 26. I have had an on again-off again relationship with the little 26 / 27s since they were introduced but have never used one as a BUG...preferring instead an airweight S&W .38 snub for that role. I know guys who do carry a G26 / 27 on their ankle, but they are better men than me I guess, because the weight just sucks where I am concerned...not to mention the PITA of trying to access an ankle gun in a fight. (assuming the gun / holster even stays in place during a serious struggle) In order to be able to grab quickly and shoot accurately with the 'baby' Glocks, most people need a mag extension added, and when this is done the gun is almost as long in the butt as a 19. Even with the flat mag in place the G26 is, for me, just not suitable as a pocket gun either...you might feel differently.

I think the issue really depends on your style of dress, your need for deep concealment and personal preference, but in general, I think another G19 makes a lot more sense if you are able to carry and conceal it. Unless carried at the waist with a stiff belt. pretty much everyone I know who has tried a second gun worn on the person in civvies has gone back to a lightweight snub or a .32 / .380 like the KelTech, etc. (as opposed to carry in briefcase or Versapak or in uniform, etc.)

And for the record, we are having a gun show locally here this weekend and I will probably sell or trade the 26, but what...if anything...will replace it I am not sure...maybe a second H&K P2000LEM.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

If I wanted something purely as a BUG I would get a 2' J Frame.

If you want a back up for sport or if your primary goes down and the 19 works for you I would recommend another 19. Carrying both would be a bit of a ball ache but doable.

User

Thanks for all your comments - always informative. Okay, I am liking the idea of maybe sticking with another 19, or 17 (will even fit in the same holster).

I am curious, how important do you guys think it is to stick with the same caliber ? I can perhaps get a 23 (same size at the 19) in .40S&W for a good price. Should I stick with the same caliber because I know it, or should I spice up things a bit for a bit of variety? As I understand it both rounds are easy to get, and easy to reload. I don't think .40S&W is much more expensive to reload?

Is it difficult to shoot consistently with two different calibers ?

I would stick with the same caliber if SD were my primary reason for the second pistol. There is not a lot of difference in performance between the calibers if good JHP ammo is used. If, OTOH, ball (FMJ) was all I could find I just might prefer a larger caliber. But again, it would depend on circumstances. In many cases, the backup gun may be used to arm a second good guy (or maybe your spouse, etc) and if this might happen, I would once again prefer the 9mm as it is somewhat easier for an 'average' non-shooter to handle. .40 is more sensitive to being reloaded correctly from a chamber pressure standpoint but it certainly CAN be done safely with some care.

Some guys prefer 'consolidation' of guns, calibers and ammo while others prefer variety. I now fall into the consolidated camp but that does not make variety 'bad'...just no longer my cup of tea.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks ikor, I always appreciate the thought you put in to your comments, you are very helpful.

I was wondering about the reloading aspect, and you have answered that. That second hand 17 seems more appealing all the time. I have a third gen 19, and this 17 on offer is first gen. Apart from a scratch or two on the extractor and slide, it looks like it is in good nic.

What are your thoughts on the different frame types? I have read from one person who finds it easier to control recoil with the finger grooves of the third gen. The third gen frame fits my hands well, and I like it, but have never used the first gen frames. I'm going to guess from what I have heard here, that a lot of guys still prefer the first gen frames.

I would have to search more for a third gen 19 or 17, as I haven't seen any available. A new third gen would cost about R3000 more.

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    I would stick with the same caliber if SD were my primary reason for the second pistol. There is not a lot of difference in performance between the calibers if good JHP ammo is used. If, OTOH, ball (FMJ) was all I could find I just might prefer a larger caliber. But again, it would depend on circumstances. In many cases, the backup gun may be used to arm a second good guy (or maybe your spouse, etc) and if this might happen, I would once again prefer the 9mm as it is somewhat easier for an 'average' non-shooter to handle. .40 is more sensitive to being reloaded correctly from a chamber pressure standpoint but it certainly CAN be done safely with some care.

Some guys prefer 'consolidation' of guns, calibers and ammo while others prefer variety. I now fall into the consolidated camp but that does not make variety 'bad'...just no longer my cup of tea.

I tend to prefer either the 2nd (grenade grip checkering but no rail) or 3rd (currently produced) generation frames but could lose the finger grooves. I prefer my pistol grips to be very 'toothy' and have no problems with even sharp, 20 LPI checkering on metal frames so long as it does not hang up on a cover garment. I have heard the newest (4th generation?) frames are even 'grippier' but have yet to see one in person.

I do like the addition of the relatively unobtrusive rail and can live with the finger grooves. My nightstand gun is a G17 loaded with 17rd of Federal HST 124gr +P and with SureFire X300 attached. Apart from the rail, skateboard tape will roughen the texture of the first generation grip well enough and is cheap as well. If I had the extra R3000 just sitting around I might go for a new G17 but I can't really say that the rail alone is worth that much more. The 1st generation guns were all very good, and here, you can send one back to Glock and they will update all internals at no charge to you. A carry gun will get scratches and worn spots if it is actually carried and used, so don't let minor cosmetic issues bother you.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

2 x G17

or

1 x G17 and 1 x G26

I carry a 17 every day and really do not see the benefit in a G19 - I am of the opinion that the 1 odd cm in length and height does not make the 19 easier to carry, most people use +2 shoes on their 19 mags which makes the concealment difference between the 17 and 19 a moot point - it is much more important to get the best concealment holster you can.

The 17 has much better grip control in adverse conditions of handling than the 19 - I think Thorkind will confirm this!

If you really want more concealable than the 17 then the G26 is the one imo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast