Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default SAPS not issuing SAPS 523s

SAPS 523" {or SAPD 523} ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPT OF FIREARM

These forms where not being issued at certain police stations, I went back to ask for one, with my payment receipt the DFO said its not a requirement to have a SAPS 523, as I have submitted my renewals on time and that I don't need a SAPS 523. ???

Not one 523 was issued to any of the people who renewed during the time I renewed my licences.... so is the SAPS contravening the Act by not administratively complying with the law....we who complied with the law from our side are not responsible to remind the SAPS of their administrative duties, surely.

Default Re: SAPS not issuing SAPS 523s

The only time I have gotten one of these is if Ive filled it out for them and had them stamp it.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Was told my payment receipt for renewals is what am supposed to keep as proof of renewal till the NEW licences are issued...thats all.

The way I see it the SAPS is responsible for CORRECT administration in this regard, if they lose my documentation someone is going to have a lot of explaining to do. I'll make sure they get demoted to Constable.

Banned

FWIW, I do not leave my DFO without a completed, signed & stamped SAPS523. It's your only recourse that you have in fact submitted the application (the payment receipt only confirms that you've paid money) for when (not "if") the SAPS lose your application. How I understand it, for the DFO to actually give you a SAPS523 the application must be entered onto the system, which is a schlep and puts the ball in his court (officially). But if you don't insist on an SAPS523 the DFO may take weeks if not months to capture your application and when your application gets lost there isn't even a record of receipt on the system.

Banned

The DFO will issue you with a remittance advice SAPS 523(a) and direct you to the financial office at the police station to pay the applicable fees of R70 for the competency certificate and R70 for each firearm licence you wish to renew. The payment must be made by means of cash or a bank-guaranteed cheque. You will be issued with an expenditure receipt (Z263) as proof of the payment. Submit the Z263 to the DFO for further processing of your application.

You will receive a signed acknowledgement of receipt (SAPS 523) as proof that you submitted the respective applications for the renewal of your firearm licence(s).
    Well SAPS in Helderberg is not issuing them.

They said I'll get it when its been processed, so they haven't processed (captured) any of these applications I guess...and therfor can't ISSUE these forms....so what now....catch 22 situation. confused0083

SOP at 3 SAPS stations in our area was a rigid,

a) Pay fees
    b.) Return with receipt
    c.) Receipt and SAPS 523 stapled together.

A stern instruction of "keep for future reference in a safe place" followed. md217

The catastrophe was the fingerprinting process. A total bottleneck wherever you went. hpy194

Banned

OK I probably made a nuicance of myself, but I finally got a SAPS 523 issued for submitting my renewals, after requesting one the second time round in person. happy0065

Phew...sorted.

User

The only time I have gotten one of these is if Ive filled it out for them and had them stamp it.
    When handing in my apps in Jan 09 their system was "offline" and I was issued only handwritten receipts for 2 new apps, renewal X3 and further competency. Three Months later I phoned and requested the reference numbers for all the apps submitted.

After politely enquiring about the SAPS 523 and politely been told that they don't issue them no more(???) I also filled out the forms and had them stamped and signed.

My reasoning was that on 1 July all "old" licenses becomes invalid and the handwritten receipts only reflect the amount paid and the reason ( new app etc.). No mention is made of the firearm in which respect it was paid. So, no real proof that I did apply for the renewal of that license.

Hypothetically, one should have these forms on your person from 1 July, otherwise it may be that you don't have the license with you when you go hunting or travel to and from a sportshooting event. Also if you carry concealed.

I could be wrong but that is my take on the situation.

User

I never received a SAPS 523 when I did my renewals in 08, to be honest I never knew about this particular form.

So my question is, will I have a problem after 30 June if I only have the receipts from my payments for renewals or will they be sufficient proof?

User

I took along my own SAPS 523 which I downloaded off the SAPS website and completed myself. The cop filled in his portion, filled in my reference/file no., his name and details, signed it and returned it to me. Also got a computer generated receipt, signed and stamped. Seems like some stations are lazier than others!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast