Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Went for light training today

I persuaded my wife to join me on a SD course today, presented by a person living close to us. I heard of him through a friend.

It focused on scenarios, what to look out for and avoid, etc.

Then we did some drills with demo pepper sprays to see how they work. I wasn't too impressed, but I can see their use.

Then the real stuff started with rubber training knives. We started off with learning a few cuts and stabs, then practicing them on the instructor. We quickly progressed to blocking and countering, and had some sparring sessions.

After this we did scenarios such as in a lift, or on your back in an attempted rape or whatever, and how to get to your blade and use it to get back to your feet and get out of there.

Suffice to say that I have gained HUGE respect for a knife. It is mindboggling how devastating it can be at close range, and I will certainly be carrying mine closer at hand.

We are thoroughly bruised and have red welts over our throats, arms and stomachs, but it's worth it.

I'm definitely getting some more training with a knife, see some different angles and such.

If you have a knife and haven't been for training, make a plan. You WILL be amazed.

User

Default Re: Went for light training today

Is this 1 on 1 training or can we join next time?

Its for groups of 6 max. PM me your email address, I'll give you his number.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Its for groups of 6 max. PM me your email address, I'll give you his number.

He holds the courses once a month or on request.

User

When you say you were not impressed with the demo spray can you elaborate please?
    Have you ever been sprayed with the real stuff?

User

IMO pepper spray and knife combo (with training of course) is the best non-firearm option easily available. hugely practical, gives one many options wrt force continuum and covering different ranges.

I never leave my front door without mine.

wthang, it's just that I could not get comfortable with it. If felt very ineffectual. But no, I haven't been sprayed with the real stuff. I guess that makes a huge difference.

I'm not bashing pepper spray, it just didn't feel comfortable to me. Still, I'm buying a few cans tomorrow.

Good to hear you enjoyed the training Skaaphaas. If I remember correctly you are in the PTA east area? If you and the Mrs's want to do this kind of training more regularly you should consider joining us for Combatives. We do this kind of sh!t and more on a weekly basis + whatever else Swattie can throw at us.I agree that one learns a lot by taking part in this type of training. Send me a PM if you want to come and see what it is all about and I can send you details.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    wthang, it's just that I could not get comfortable with it. If felt very ineffectual. But no, I haven't been sprayed with the real stuff. I guess that makes a huge difference.
    Dude... If u train firearms using airsoft and water-pistols, then would u assume a firearm is ineffective. I'm yet to meet someone who isn't distracted by pepper spray. Do not underestimate it.Its also non-lethal so feel free to use it to avoid any doubt and/or to avoid an attack ;-)

The secret is spray and then run....dont run and spray!

Ha ha, just fooling around

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Dude... If u train firearms using airsoft and water-pistols, then would u assume a firearm is ineffective. I'm yet to meet someone who isn't distracted by pepper spray. Do not underestimate it.Its also non-lethal so feel free to use it to avoid any doubt and/or to avoid an attack ;-)
    In Texas, pepper spray doesn't work on a lot of people who have a diet that has a high content of hot peppers.

It has a lesser effect on them. On a Force on Force class a few years back, one participant was pepper sprayed and it had minimal effect of him. He was one of those guys who puts hot pepper sauce on everything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast