Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Canada Looking to Eliminate its Long-Gun Registry

Seen that we adopted the policy almost word for word from the Canadians , one would hope that those responsible for our fiasco would take note. I somehow doubt they will unfortunately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story by: S.H. Blannelberry

Our neighbors to the north find themselves in the midst of a debate on whether they should keep their long-gun registry or whether they should destroy it along with all its records.

On Tuesday, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, introduced a bill in the House of Commons that would effectively abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records.

Hopeful that Towes’ bill will pass with Republican majorities in the House and Senate, Tory MP Candice Hoeppner, who had introduced a similar bill in years past, told reporters, “Today is a defining moment for our government."

Hoeppner went on to explain the reason for killing the long-gun registry.

"The long-gun registry is not gun control, and because of that it is an ineffective and a waste of taxpayers hard-earned dollars," she told reporters.

She also cited the fact that the registry has cost approximately $2 billion since its inception in 1995 and that that money should have been spent cracking down on real criminals, not farmers, hunters, and law abiding gun owners.

But many opponents of the bill, like NDP MP Françoise Boivin, from Quebec, see the move as a “slap in the face.”

Others called the bill an “ideological attack on facts and evidence.”

What are the facts? Does the long-gun registry really thwart criminals or is it only used to harass, marginalize and inconvenience responsible gun owners?

The National Post did some research and found:

Since the long-gun registry came into force, lawful gun owners have faced increasing scrutiny from police authorities. The surveillance has increased particularly since the Firearms Registry database went online. In the second quarter of 2003, the database was searched 95,503 times by police. By the first quarter of 2011, the number of searches had reached nearly 1.3 million.

This thirteen-fold increase happened because the Firearms Registry database is now automatically included in the routine identity searches of many major police departments — something Canadian Sports Shooting Association (CSSA) executive director Tony Bernardo knows all to well.

“I can’t even begin to tell you how many members of CSSA we’ve had to defend in court because they were charged with unsafe storage, and the officer charging them didn’t have a clue what the safe storage laws were,” Bernardo told the Post. “You’re treated completely differently sometimes because you’re on that list. Sometimes it can get really, really crazy.”

(Huffpo poll)

But Pamela Harrison, provincial coordinator for Transition House Association of Nova Scotia, an organization that provides crisis services to women, disagrees. She believes that the long-gun registry has done a tremendous job protecting women.

"The long-gun registry has made a significant difference in the safety of women in Canada since its inception in 1995. The rate of spousal homicide by gun has gone down 69 per cent and we attribute most of that to the impact of the gun registry," she said.

Michele Vardy, a recreational hunter from Georgian Bay, Ont., believes that Harrison isn’t telling the truth.

"As a woman, the long-gun registry does not make me feel any safer or secure," she said. “Criminals don't register their guns and that the registry targets law-abiding citizens.”

"The long-gun registry does nothing to protect women," she added.

As the debate rages on in the public sphere, it seems as though the government has made up its mind.

"I know that this subject has been an issue of much contention and much debate over the years but I want to assure everyone that our government has carefully examined all of the sides and the evidence and I can confidently stand in front of you today and I can say that the long-gun registry has been ineffective and it has been completely wasteful," MP Hoeppner said.

All things considered, it looks as though the bill will pass with little trouble.

Perhaps there is something we can learn from our neighbors to the north?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Default In Canada, the end of the registry is nigh!

On Tuesday, our Conservative government introduced legislation to finally kill the long gun registry. And yes, Wendy is frantic over this. Well, she can choke on it for all the grief she has caused gun owners over the last decade and a half. Once this piece of legislation is dealt with, we will hopefully move forward on reversing some other aspects of the stupidity Wendy and co. foisted upon us.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10...-gun-registry/

Default Re: In Canada, the end of the registry is nigh!

Good news.

Well done to all Canadians who fought against this!
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Default Re: Canada Looking to Eliminate its Long-Gun Registry

Ah if only the R of SA would follow suit.

User

Big victory imo! Well done to all the Canadian gun-owner who had the balls to stand up to stupidity!

User

2 Billion Dollars wasted. Damn

I wonder what it has costed S.A to date?

But congrats to Canada.

User

Awesome news! Lets hope the SA Government can read & learn! Not going to hold my breath thou!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by annewesley View Post
    Since its introduction, Canada's long-gun registry has been the most famous political concern. This stem to philosophical discrepancies on gun control policy between and among Canada's political parties, and issues related to the cost of program. Moreover, since the existence of the law, there has been an increase proportion reduction in homicides by long guns. However, the Canada's much criticized long-gun registry is now under attack. Media editorials have called the registry a "$2 billion waste" and "an insult to law abiding citizens".
    ??????????? a) Please post an intro as requested by the mods when you joined this forum, b) Can't make head nor tail of what you're driving at with your post. Please use punctuation and grammar.
    Last edited by Paul; 31-10-2011 at 10:40.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

I'll believe the repeal of Canada's long gun registration when I see it. I don't disbelieve the intention, but let's have the result before the congratulations.

I agree with Dick,

Has anyone had any other news on this?, by the sounds of the original posts, it looked like this bill was being delt with right then?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast