Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Maximum amount of ammo.

I know there are a lot of stories on what is the maximum amount of ammo and powder that you can store.
    But what is the maximum amount of ammo per caliber that a dedicated hunter/ sportsman may have in his possession? I heard that you may only have 2.4 kg of powder, is that overall or just per batch ex. S335, S365.
    Wait to hear from you all.

User

Default Re: Maximum amount of ammo.

The amount of ammo I'm not sure of, I do not even know if you will be limited with dedicated status. The powder is 2,4kg's that includes the all powder you own.

Why they made it 2,4kg is still a mystery since it comes in 0,5kg tins....

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Edmund, depends on your license. If you have an old license OR are a white license holder with dedicated status there is no limit on the ammo you can buy and/or store. Propellant is 2.4Kg - illogical and irrational, but there you are!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    a white license holder with dedicated status
    And black, coloured or indian licence holders? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    And black, coloured or indian licence holders? ;-)
    Sigh... ;-{>}
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    ...OR are a white license holder with dedicated status there is no limit on the ammo you can buy and/or store...
    Yes. And it does NOT matter if a specific firearm is licensed for SD (and not dedicated hunting/sport), if you have dedicated status, the amount of ammo for the SD gun is also not capped.

Some dealers, however, refuse to sell you more than 200 rounds if you show a SD license with your dedicated status card. I suppose they are over cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphaan View Post
    Some dealers, however, refuse to sell you more than 200 rounds if you show a SD license with your dedicated status card. I suppose they are over cautious.
    I've said this before... Avoid dealers who make up the law. Who knows what else they may be trying to get away with.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphaan View Post
    Yes. And it does NOT matter if a specific firearm is licensed for SD (and not dedicated hunting/sport), if you have dedicated status, the amount of ammo for the SD gun is also not capped.
    Sorry sir but I don`t agree with you here.

My take (as well as our local DFO and my hunting assosiation) on this issue is that you are only allowed uncapped amount of ammo for the firearm wich is issued ito sect 16.
    For example:
    If your 308 license is issued ito sect 16 and your 9mm license is issued ito sect 13. You can have uncapped amount of ammo for your 308 but you can only have a max of 200 rounds for your 9mm.

Just because you have dedicated status does not allow you to posses uncapped amount of ammo. It all depends ito which section your license is issued.

User

What about filing for a Sec. 91?
    (Application for Authorization to Possess more than 200 rounds of ammunition)
    I know that we sometimes go through those 200 rounds in a day's training.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wismit View Post
    Sorry sir but I don`t agree with you here.

My take (as well as our local DFO and my hunting assosiation) on this issue is that you are only allowed uncapped amount of ammo for the firearm wich is issued ito sect 16.
    For example:
    If your 308 license is issued ito sect 16 and your 9mm license is issued ito sect 13. You can have uncapped amount of ammo for your 308 but you can only have a max of 200 rounds for your 9mm.

Just because you have dedicated status does not allow you to posses uncapped amount of ammo. It all depends ito which section your license is issued.
    Go read the Act:

Licences for Self Defence are issued in terms of Section 13 thereof.

Licences for Occasional Hunting and Sports-Shooting are issued in terms of Section 15 thereof.

Licences for Dedicated Hunting and Sport-Shooting are issued in terms of Section 16 thereof.

Sections 13, 14 and 16 all fall under Chapter 6 of the Act.

Section 91 provides as follows:

"91. (1) The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200 cartridges for each firearm in respect of which he or she holds a license.
    (2)The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to-
    (a)a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a license issued in terms of this Act or any other holder of licence in terms of this Act authorised by the Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence on good cause shown;or
    (b)the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect of ammunition bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range."
    (my underlining and emphasis)

To my mind it is clear: If you are a holder of a licence in terms of this Act and you have dedicated status, the limitation does not apply to you. There is no other reasonable interpretation. I am not really interested in what any policeman says in this respect. I have never had much faith in their ability to interpret statutes. I must say that I am a bit disappointed in your hunting association.

I am prepared to argue this in any court of competent jurisdiction.

Do you still differ? If so, why?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast