Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jackal Time!!!!

User

Default Re: Jackal Time!!!!

Burner, that makes sence. i went to a part of the farm this mornung i seldom visit in the morning. low and behold i came across a VERY big male jackal.

i am giong to change a couple of things, but i think i will have to wait till end of next week due to the moon.

you tell of witnissing a jackal climbing over a fence. a friend of mine had a tame Jackal. he kept it in a large old dove cage. the jackal wasnt allowed outside except if my friend was at home. but as soon as he hears his bakkie leaving he will climb 7 foot fence and escape at a slight opening at the top. he would catch one of the chickens. as soon as he here my friend return he will quickly climb back into the cage. nobody the wiser.

thanks for the tips, they will be put to the test

User

300H&H, I know that we quickly touched on the subject in one of my previous 'stories' on Jackal, but for what it is worth; a mouth caller never sounds the same twice in a row, simply due to the changing human input. An electronic caller, albeit loaded with plenty of different sounds, eventually put you in a catch 22.

Although the electronic caller can be loaded with plenty of different sounds, only a certain number of calls will be effective for a specific area. One then tend to start re-using those calls. What you have to keep in mind is that although you might kill the Jackal/s coming in on the call, there will invariably be Jackals in the immediate area, hearing the call and associating it with a cracking sound, maybe some sounds from the dying Jackal or the smell of blood. What it eventually does is 'educate' the Jackal to associate that specific call with human intervention.

I’ve seen this happen where initially the electronic caller works in a ‘virgin’ area, but soon looses its touch.

The older reed type mouth callers might take a bit longer to learn, but will not only result in immediate results, but will continue to do so, even in the same area.

It also adds another skill level to the hunt, making it much more personal and satisfying (read exhilarating) to know that you are fooling the Jackal into now hunting you… or off course you can be really brave (read stupid) like myself and try this on Leopard.

Problem is it works very well on Leopard and Hyena and Lion. Like the dog who chased the bus and caught it… now what? Scary, very scary to be knowingly stalked by any of these.

I have a big collection of mouth callers, even some of the more modern internal reed types which are in fact very easy to use although slightly limited in it’s range of sounds.

If you’re not yet using mouth callers, give it a try. You’ll thank me for it.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

There is something else I would like to add; with an electronic caller you are basically playing whatever is recorded or selected at the time, with I imagine some sort of remote function to pause and volume adjustment. Which makes for a lot of fiddling if you need to change volume or switch to another track.

The mouth caller is real time. Instant. Let say the Jackal is now approaching, but manages to get slightly downwind or due to swirling wind catches your sent. He will make a U-turn faster than you can mutter ‘bliksem’.

Now this where the mouth caller excels. You can immediately (from experience) blow a shrill mouse-like peep (not too loud though because Jackal don’t like Mice that sounds 12 feet tall and weighing approximately 300kg) that will stop that Jackal in it’s tracks. Enough time for your partner (did I mention that mouth callers always work in teams?) to take it down.

Another scenario is where you get the (nervous) Jackal right to the edge of the red light, but just too far too make a sure kill; now this is where you on the fly (read real time) drop the volume to a barely audible whimpering, sort of last breaths of a teeny little easy-prey hare. Your partner should already have the jackal in his crosshairs, and you (the caller, whom also work the light) will subtly ‘wiggle’ the light on the Jackal calling the shooter’s attention to the Jackal and that you reckon that he can start shooting any moment now.

With a mouth caller you can play mind games with the Jackal, for instance using locater calls to get an idea where they are in relation to your chosen spot. Big males cannot resist an ‘intruder-challenge’ type call followed by the sound of the intruder grabbing a squealing rabbit. He will drop everything right there and come in against all instinct, directly to the call. Damn, that is exiting stuff.

And you can do all of that in real time with a mouth caller. Granted you will probably have about three or more different callers on a string around your neck, just in case you need a different sound or tactic.

I hope this helps.

User

sjoe Gamfarmer, I spoke to a profesional jackal/caracal hunter at lunchtime what you said and what he says is allmost an exact duplicate. i used to consentrate much more on the reed(mouth) caller untiil i got "lazy" and excusivly used the electronic caller. between what you said and the hunter told me i am going to use the reed caller(i use the meduim critter caller the green one) in conjuction with the electronic caller and i am giong to use it for a day time call. gonna try this from 17:30 this afternoon.

a couple of years ago i did reed calls in the day often. i must agree with you on how this gets the heart rate up. i in fact wanted to do this yesterday evening but as soon as i got set up( i was still busy loading my mag) one of the oldest biggest wart-hog boars showed up. from when i sat down till the hog layed down coudnt have been 60 sec.

again thanks for the reply, i will give feedback and probably rely on your comment again if you dont mind.

p.s one of the reason i stopped reed calls is that these days i am so out of breath due to this that i cant get the crosshairs on the target.
    Last edited by 300H&H; 08-11-2011 at 15:01.

User

Ditto on the "team" approach, ALWAYS have somebody watch your back mouth calling. I had too many close calls in Arizona calling alone that I went to an electronic caller. Called anything from mountain lions, foxes, coyotes, mad bulls, deer, stray dogs and cats and even jackrabbits. Had to shoot coyotes off my lap more than once, and got stalked by lions which was given away by birds.

Anybody ever try donkeys as protection animals? The burros here are highly uppity and do not like coyotes and the like much, and I have heard of people using them to protect flocks of sheep and such.

Also agree on the mind games, we would hit an area hard but always used a different approach and use different places for stands. On educated coyotes and coyotes living close to humans a simple squeaky toy brought them running, it is incredible how far they can hear it. One ranch we hunted hard for 8 years, and between me and 2 friends we killed over 200 coyotes there. I have never night called in South Africa, but called plenty in broad daylight in as little as 45 seconds. Jackal appear to be much less educated than coyotes to me, except in the Cape area where I did not have any luck. Secret to daytime calling is to go early in the morning, do not make noise, talk, smoke, pee on the gate, slam the car door. Pick a good position where you can get to without being skylighted, move there as quietly as you can, pick a bush to sit in front of while having a good view, give it about 2-3 minutes after you sit down before starting to call. My best shooting success was using a tall 27.5 inch bipod and sitting on a flat beach chair, I could nail any coyote out to 300 yards easy. I also liked the 223 as it did not make as much noise, once you call and shoot a critter do not assume it is over, keep calling and see what else show up.

User

300H&H. I have been following the replies with interrest and some very good advice had been given of which I have also taken note. I agree with the mouth callers but I also think that with the clever use of a remote you can get very good results.I have loaded a sheep lam bleet on my Foxpro and have had some success with this. Almost every Jackal I killed with this sound had evidence of wool in its guts. The trick is to keep playing this and nothing else. (For that stand) I vary the volume from very soft to very loud, and play this for long periods of time, as a new born lamb will do. Set up away from the sheep (where kills are made) in an area where the sound can be heard, but close enough to attract the attention of nearby roaming jackall.I also follow the moon phases very carefully. It is always good to be out very early in the evening. I have had problems with Jackall killing a sheep every night and was not getting any success going out from 20:00 on a dark night. After three nights I changed tactics and went out at 01:00 as the moon was rising at 01:30, and 20 minutes later I killed two jackall in the camp with the sheep.I also mark the areas where I hear the Jackall answering from. Sometimes they answer but never come to your position. The next time I go out I go straight to the positions where I heard them and then very likely you get 2 to 3 Jackall coming in to the call.I have however noticed that most of the jackall I kill are young. It seems the ones with the degrees are reluctant to respond, but not impossible.One more word of advice, shine the light at least every two minutes. If the terain is broken up then shine the light at shorter intervals. From my experience you can overcall but you cant overlight. (have you ever put the light on and found the jackall almost too close to you?) I dont always have the pleasure of some one watching my back and do most of my shooting alone. I make use of a small MP3 player linked to my chair and then place the remote caller some distance away, normally about 60 meters. If it is very quite I start a conversation between my Mp3 and the Foxpro in the best jackall language I can master. Some times agressive and sometimes just a calling sound, firts the one and then the other. This sometimes bring the jackall out of nowhere. You are obviously very experienced but these are a few things I have tried and works for me.I hope my small words of advice can be of assistance to you. The areas where we hunt can result in different behaviour. Here by us in KZN there are not very many flat areas available and often you have an area of less than 100m to react when the Jackal shows himself.Lastly, I have learnt that "Jakkals koors" is worst than "bok koors"Voorspoed!

Banned

Out of left-field, but have any other methods of jackal control been tried? I mean, we've been shooting the crap out of them for 300+ year and we haven't made a dent in the numbers. In fact they're increasing! Y'know... when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. Perhaps it's time to look at other solutions?

User

Quote Originally Posted by deonh View Post
    Out of left-field, but have any other methods of jackal control been tried? I mean, we've been shooting the crap out of them for 300+ year and we haven't made a dent in the numbers. In fact they're increasing! Y'know... when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. Perhaps it's time to look at other solutions?
    Here is another point of view: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...o-shoot-or-not...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    Yes, and?

Oddly enough the cover issue of S&GH is caracal.

User

Yes, and?
    If you failed to see an alternative solution suggested, then don't bother.

Perhaps it's time to look at other solutions?
    Please enlighten us. You might just have the solution that a lot of bright people fail to get.

Oddly enough the cover issue of S&GH is caracal.
    Yes, and?

User

Out of left-field...
    Not really. Look at post #2!

;o)
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast