Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Glock extended magazines - are they reliable?

Hoping some Glock owners can advise me:

Are the Glock extended magazines (the +2 baseplate versions) as reliable as the standard capacity mags?

Also, is the 31\33 round magazine as reliable as the standard capacity ones?

Thanks!

Default Re: Glock extended magazines - are they reliable?

In my experience: No to both questions.

With the plus 2 shoes, in addition to the mag not being as reliable, you have the problem of the "speed unload". This is where, when seating the mag, the shoe is dislodged, causing the mag to unload itself from the bottom. This has happend to me twice in matches, with both styles of shoes.

The 31 rounder is not as reliable but it is not unreliable. Just less so than the standard. It does make the gun extremely unwieldy.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

The extended mags are not as reliable and those +shoes are vunreable as they tend to pop off with a light bump. On the long mag....remove the +2 shoe and fit the normal shoe. It is reliable but not as reliable as the standard mags and the problems tend to creep in after shot 25 or so.

My view is stay away for EDC from the +2 shoes. For competition (where allowed) it is a different story

User

Thanks guys. Your advice is really helping me out here. No +2 it is then!

User

sorry shooter not to hijack your thread here:

wrt the Browning high power mags, checked some out today and saw that k-mag can hold 15rnds whereas the originals only 13... these 15rnd mags are they as good? price wise they are heavy!!! I bought a second hand mag today, original one that is in good shape, springs still quite stiff!

User

I have not seen good results with K mags.

perhaps you guys are referring to the +2 shoes on the larger Glocks as i have carried my 27 (sub-compact) for many years all the time with +2 shoes, these are not the aftermarket straight front strap but rater the curved (for finger) that coem with the gun in the box, and i have never had a problem with the base coming off or any other problem imaginable, if it were not for the +2 shoe on the sub compact guns id not carry them.

That being said, the kind of aftermarket show was terrible, i had a few cases of smacking the mag home and loosing the base and all the rounds with my Glock 23 on a number of occasions

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    I have not seen good results with K mags.
    glad i didnt buy one... what are reputable brands as far as mags go?

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901
    perhaps you guys are referring to the +2 shoes on the larger Glocks as i have carried my 27 (sub-compact) for many years all the time with +2 shoes, these are not the aftermarket straight front strap but rater the curved (for finger) that coem with the gun in the box, and i have never had a problem with the base coming off or any other problem imaginable, if it were not for the +2 shoe on the sub compact guns id not carry them.

That being said, the kind of aftermarket show was terrible, i had a few cases of smacking the mag home and loosing the base and all the rounds with my Glock 23 on a number of occasions
    Nope. Talking about the OEM ones.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

OEM mags remains the best option (talking in general). Meggar mags are good but not easily available. I use K-Mags on my Vektor without any problems at all. They are 17 shot compared to 15 shot of my original Vektor mags and all I did was to put the original Vektor base plates on the K-Mags for better comfort when doing mag changes. They do not match 100% up in dimensions compared to the originals mags as they do differ by having more 'sharp' edges in the lip areas but they seem to be functioning 100%. As I say that is my experience with the Vektor mags from K-Mags.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast