Default Cutting barrel lenght

Hey guys

Quick question...i have recently bought myself the most beautiful .416 rigby. i am planning ahead since i am only about to send in my application now. The current barrel length is 25"...i have spoke to a few people and the first thing they do when customizing a rifle like mine is to shorten the barrel length from 25" to 23".
    Does this change anything regarding distance you can shoot or velocities????

Thanx

User

Default Re: Cutting barrel lenght

Barrel length does impact on velocity but if it is done properly accuracy will remain the same.

Cutting the barrel will make it a bit handier in dense bush I'm told and since it's rather unlikely that you will be using it to snipe at Springbuck at 500 meters it will probably not have any noticeable effect at all.

Banned

I have recently bought a Ruger No. 1 in 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel. This is the ideal bush rifle. The 416 is a short range weapon (100m or less) used in Big 5 hunting. Most of the target species is shot at 15 to 50 meters and the long barrel is not really required. Try and handle a rifle in similar calibre with a shortened barrel and form your own opinion.

User

Both my DG backup rifles are 22". They handle well and performace is brilliant. I would even go down to 21" with 100% confidence.

A collegue cut his 375 down to 18 inches, which handled beutifully but I felt it was too short, based on the very visible yellow muzzle flash, indicating incomplete combustion. Another bloke had his down to 20in and I didnt recall such a big flash from that.

User

Hi

My 416 Taylor's barrel has been cut to 21.25" - it handles beautifully and very quick. Velocity is slightly lower @ 2200 fps with 400 grainers - but very accurate.

In theory, your accuracy should improve with a shorter barrel because a shorter barrel equals a stiffer barrel, assuming all else to be equal. Your speed will be slightly lower, but nothing that you will notice in any practical situation out to 200m+.

Most important though, is that your DG rifle must be balanced and be comfortable for you.

Enjoy!

Gad, you guys are casual about shortening barrels. The 375H&H needs its full 24". At 18" you might as well have a LA in 375Win. 416 Rem and 416 Taylor are not 416 Rigby. I am not familiar with the ballistics of any of them, but the 416 Rigby case is very different. It achieves its high velocity at modest pressure, so the same velocity might well be possible in a shorter barrel at higher pressure. But I wouldn't cut the barrel of a beautiful Rigby without researching it thoroughly, and certainly not on the basis of the remarks I've seen in this thread.

User

A 25" barrel is a bit long for wounded lions or house clearing, so unless you are having a real emergency I would recomend living with it for a while.You might find 25 inches no impedament at all.
    Once you cut it you can't grow it back

User

Hi Keegangobey

I have a 416 Rigby with a 25" barrel and one of my friends has teh exact same rifle as I do but het had his rifles' barrel shortened to 22". We both reload and our loads are exactly the same for the two rifles. His muzzle velocity is still roundabout 2550fps with a 400gr bullet out of that short 22" barrel. Because of my longer barrel, my muzzle velocity is a bit quicker (2750fps) with ate same bullet. These loads does not have any signs of pressure in either of the rifles.

I am in the process of shortening my barrel to 22" as well. 2550fps is sufficient for me.

PS: Just remember it is against the law to shorten a rifles barrel. You do need permission from the SAPS.

User

Richard Sowrey did a three part artical for the African Outfitter on DG rifles. If I remember correctly he suggests that one should cut down the barrel on certain big bore rifles. Read the artical for the full explanation.