Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Which lever action caliber for estern Cape Kudu?

I am considering buying a light rifle for close range bushveld hunting in the Eastern Cape. The largest game I will be hunting is kudu. I have my heart set on a lever action rifle. It will probably be a Marlin as it is easier to mount a scope on it (it ejects cases to the side and not out the top, and it comes pre-drilled for scope mounting).

I am considering the .30-30 cartridge currently. However I don't know much about the other big game cartridges that lever actions are chambered for. Is there a better cartridge that I should consider? Is there something with a flatter trajectory that hits as hard or harder than the .30-30? Is there any down side to the .30-30 that I should know about like meat damage etc? I will be reloading my own ammo so the availability of components is a factor in the final decision.

Lastly, if I do have the option of hunting a Eland, will the .30-30 be able to do the job?

I would appreciate your wisdom and experience on this.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Which lever action caliber for estern Cape Kudu?

Traditional leverguns will always have a less flat trajectory than boltguns, because the tubular magazine needs flat point bullets and they have more air resistance.

Exceptions are Sako and Savage and Ruger, with rotary or box magazines. Depending on whether it floats your boat, the Savage 99 in 300 Savage is one sweet gun.

The 45-70 hits harder than the 30-30, but I'd guess (can't really look it up right now) that it has a worse trajectory.

If you're reloading you won't have a problem with components for any of these.

Kudu with a 30-30, sure. Large kudu with a 30-30, maybe. Eland with a 30-30, notsomuch. Well, OK, from up close, sure, those much discussed "head and neck shots" don't need a large caliber, but if they go wrong you'll need your buddy with the 375 to help you out.

Banned

I am acquiring a Ruger No. 1A in 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel (look at ruger.com) It is a very sweet handling falling block action. It is a single shot, but my reasoning is with good shot placement you dont need more.

If you are set on a cowboy gun the the 30-30 will not be a bad call for the close bush. You refer to trajectory and you are contradicting your appeal for a close range rifle. Iknow that Hornady manufacture a rubber tipped spitzer bullet for the tube magazine that will be very handy. These components will be very scarce in SA. The 45-7- with lighter bullets in the 300gr range will also have a flatter trajectory.

User

Seriously look at the Marlin in 45-70. Up close in the bush up to 120m - no problem with game up to eland. If you are looking for lever action (30-30/45-70) issues of trajectory must not be the main concern. With 45-70 you can load 350gr bullets close to about 1950fps in the Marlin. Elsewhere on the forum somone advertises a Ruger no 1 in .45-70. Another option albeit single shot. I must admit that I am biased as I own a Ruger 45-70...

Look at the Ruger NO1 375 H&H

I have one and I love it..

User

I have to agree with the above, the 45-70 in the Marlin is probably the better route to go
    That particular combination has taken all of the Big 5, so if it'll stop an elephant, I'm sure a Kudu Bull will be stopped too.

My licence app is currently in for my Marlin 1894 44 Magnum, I can't wait!

User

Also, don't pass a 444 Marlin by because you're looking for a 45-70 -- do your research.

User

Isn't 444 Marlin brass very tough to come by?
    A mate of mine loads 375JDJ which uses 444 Marlin brass and he's battled to find some

User

The 30-30 it a little bit light for Kudu but will get the job done if you stick to the 170gr bullets. I would go for the 45-70 though. Trajectory will not be a problem at bush ranges. 350gr or 400gr bullets will get the job done with room to spare.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Last time I looked City Guns had. OK, last time I looked was a few years ago :-)

The world is much flatter than it used to be. Order 50 or 100 from the US and you're done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast