User

Default CVA and Sannadex powder loads

Morning everyone

I am getting a bit confused with what the Sannadex chart says with regard to powder loads.Lately you only get one type of Sanndex that is for pistol and rifle.If I understand it correctly CVA rifles shoot FFg powder.According to the sannadex powder chart if you want to shoot a 100gr load of powder you should load it up to 133gr of sannadex to give it the equavalent of black powder...I am currently shooting with 100gr sannadex powder and it seems that my rifle is very happy with this.But here comes the head scratching part,am I right by saying if you were using 100gr of sannadex you are in actual fact firing a powder load of between 70-80gr in "original black powder terms"?and also according to the CVA manual the rifle can go up to 150gr "magnum loads" but it is not recommended as all the powder might not burn.Then again they say you should prefably not go over 110gr powder,but if you are substituting black powder with sannadex to get to 110 gr black powder you will have to load 146gr of sannadex to get it on par with blackpowder.Anyone with expert advice here please?

User

Default Re: CVA and Sannadex powder loads

Blackpower is more dense than Sannadex. Thats why you need to load more of it than bp. You can try up to 130gr sannadex loads with lightweight sabbots 250-300gr. Remember if I say 130gr sdx its by volume and not by weight! Anything more is purely a waste of powder and maybe risky?

User

The performance of Sdx and BP are very similar. Calliber depending, performance by volume on the same load of both sdx and bp are very similar. Exception is very small loads in a very small calliber.
    For a chart to see the loads which I've chronied this far, go to http://www.flintandmusket.co.za/misc/bp.xls

User

I load my electra with 180gr sannadex rifle by volume and a 600gr lead conical, not very accurate shoots about 200mm grouping at 100m, but i guess its fine for hunting only drawback is it kicks like a very big mule.
    for more precision i use 110gr sannadex rifle with 250gr hornady sst sabots, very accurate at 75m three shots cuts into each other.
    In august i shot a warthog at 40m with a 600gr conical, instant kill. and a kudu at 120m also a instant kill. it is a very effective hunting load

User

Keep in mind that Sannadex is not being manufactured anymore, so use it sparingly. You might actually get more velocity if you reduce the load from 180grains to about 120. Keep in mind that the more power you use, the shorter the barrel becomes.

My own .72 kodiak shooting a 800grain conical obtains a max velocity at 90 grains WANO. A load of 100 grains actually reduced the velocity, but increases the recoil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by stok View Post
    I load my electra with 180gr sannadex rifle by volume and a 600gr lead conical,
    Tht load is WAY above max for that rifle. Please refer to the recommended loads supplied by the manufacturer.

User

Thanks, i am fully aware of that, thus the scar between my eyes from the scope-it really kicks like a mule on steroids. Max load is 150gr black powder and as i understand it it is 33% more reactive than sannadex, thus the 180gr load, i am suposed to use bullets <400gr according to specs, but the 600gr was the only i could get before the hunting trip, i experimented and found with 180gr i had the least bullet drop over 100m, shot about 15 such loads but it is not easy on your shoulder (read, whole freaking body)

User

I'd have that barrel x-rayed before firing another shot in it......