Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 270 160gr

User

Default 270 160gr

Hi guys

I have seen a couple bullet makers have 160gr for the 270, like the Nosler partition, local stuff like Rhino. I think that with a SD of about .300 it would penetrate like mad. If you load this at about 2500 ft/s then you would have a nice bush round. Any of you guys ever played around with it or have thoughts about it?

User

Default Re: 270 160gr

Messor

have been hunting in the Bushveld with 160 gr Nosler Partitions in the 270 win for 20 odd years. Load is S365 +_0.5gr up from start. Have only recovered 1 bullet out of approximately 150 animals, shot a warthog, frontal through the head, bullet recovered under skin -back leg. Very little meat damage on all the animals I shot. i generally cut out a 2cm x 2cm portion around the bone as I don"t like breaking my teeth. If bullets are placed carefully this load kills Eland, full (through) penetration. My rifle shoots this load 40mm lower than my 130gr Hornady load for Springbuck, so I have a 100 m zero with the 160 gr Noslers and a 200m zero with the Hornadys and don't have to touch the scope.

Zipp

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zipp View Post
    Messor

have been hunting in the Bushveld with 160 gr Nosler Partitions in the 270 win for 20 odd years. Load is S365 +_0.5gr up from start. Have only recovered 1 bullet out of approximately 150 animals, shot a warthog, frontal through the head, bullet recovered under skin -back leg. Very little meat damage on all the animals I shot. i generally cut out a 2cm x 2cm portion around the bone as I don"t like breaking my teeth. If bullets are placed carefully this load kills Eland, full (through) penetration. My rifle shoots this load 40mm lower than my 130gr Hornady load for Springbuck, so I have a 100 m zero with the 160 gr Noslers and a 200m zero with the Hornadys and don't have to touch the scope.

Zipp
    Good info Zipp, especially on the trajectory, do you know the velocity of the 160's?

Good day.

I have used the 160gr Partition but loaded it a bit faster than Zipp. Velocity averaged at 2700fps, so I got the same trajectory as a 30-06 with 180gr factory spec. Used it mainly in bushveld etc with Max distance being 200m. Primary quarry was Bushpigs on baits (Av distance = 50m). Haven't recovered a single bullet from a Bushpig as of yet. Shot a Kudu Bull this year, neckshot, if I remember correctly retained weight was in the region of 70%. Was lucky to have it group exactly the same spot at 100m as the 150gr Highland AX factory ammo. I've got a packet of Rhino which I bought with the intention of using exclusively on larger antelope due to its better weight retention capabilities, but then my 375 license got approved so I'm only loading 130gr Accubonds now. What I did notice with the Rhino's, was a difference in bullet length that can be easily seen when the bullets are lined up next to each other, also the weights varied slightly, which is disappointing considering that the Rhino's cost the same as the Nosler Partition. Still think though the Rhino would probably have better weight retention than the Nosler and would therefore make an excellent choice if primary quarry is Wildebeest etc. Hmmm, think you've just succeeded in finally getting me to try them next season. Accuracy with the Noslers was generally 1" on a good day up to 1.5" on a bad day. Not great, but will definately work especially if its for a Bushveld type load.

Cheers and hope it works out for you

User

The reason i am pondering over this is because i mostly hunt in the karoo where the 270 is, well King, and since it is such a pleasant rifle to shoot i was wondering why not develop a heavier round to use in the bush for when such an occasion arrive. I cannot see how a quality 160 gr at moderate speed can fail, that is why i asked you guys to give me your experiences in the bush with it . I know a bigger caliber would be better but why bother when your good old 270 can do the job as well, for someone like me that is.

User

Messor
    Can you please give me some feedback on these 160gr bullets? How is it working for you?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Japievan View Post
    Messor
    Can you please give me some feedback on these 160gr bullets? How is it working for you?
    I did not develop a suitable load with them.
    I did play around with 160gr rhino's but meticulous me just couldn't bring myself to use bullets that can't hit the broadside of a barn(exaggerating a bit).
    Both 160gr partitions and 160gr rhinos are perfect for bushveld hunting, where the range is more or less sub 100m, their just not for me.

Now there are two things that I realized, regarding me personally, when something is far then I want a flatter shooting bullet that flies true and damages the vitals, and when I 'm up close then I still use that same bullet, regardless of construction, and shoot the animal in the head.

But, having tested a fair amount of bullets on big bodied animals I have the following advice for 2 different scenarios for the average hunter.

1: If you are only, and I mean only gonna shoot in the bush, then accuracy is not that important, choose a heavy bullet of strong construction like the ones mentioned, and shoot them not too fast.
    2: If you are gonna mix it up a bit, then it's best to use a bullet that flies true, keeps speed and doesn't blow up the animal at short range. I am talking shooting standard weights like 150gr, but with strong construction to limit meat damage, like all your bonded or mono bullets. Then wherever you shoot you just have one trajectory to learn.

Personally if I lived in the bush I would use my .270 with one of 2 bullets, either A-frames or Barnes TSX/TTSX, they are proven to provide the deepest penetration with the most weight retention, finish and klaar.

Hi Messor

I have also fired Zipp's 160grn NPart load through my SAKO, and they grouped (2x 3shots) at 18mm and 27mm @100m. (I think that I duffed the second group). This was when I fired them across my chrono - min MV was 2623fps, Max MV 2669, average was 2640fps. Zipp was using SAKO cases and 49grn S365 (Lot129) on CCI200 primers in the batch he let me play with.

I would have no issues using this for large antelope - and it is one exception to my "use enough gun" personal rule....the other is medium bore (read here anything larger than 0.4' cal) revolvers :)

Sweet

User

Thank you Messor

User

Thank you Messor, once again very informative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast