Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AR 15's

Default AR 15's

Like to hear from those in the know. Whats the best AR to purchase, modify ,etcetera?
    Thinking that this Wilson may be my next buy.
    Lets hear the advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Default Re: AR 15's

Well FrankH I don't think there's much choice in terms of different AR's in SA. If you want something custom or a bushmaster you'll probably have to import it.

I totally love my AR-15, it's the SP1 with chromed bore I believe. Finding it hard to get all the parts and I believe there's issues importing some of the parts from the US, where most of the stuff is. md217

So if you have connections or lots of patience and will power, any AR-15 is fine in my book!

I'm planning something like the attached. I believe this a a AR-15 customized by another member on this site....

Let me know if you get contacts or find out of some really neat places.... hpy180
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. Care to elaborate who the member is?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    Looks good. Care to elaborate who the member is?
    I don't think it is 'top secret' or anything and IIRC it belongs to Khumba. Very nice, too!

The AR is a great platform for being able to use multiple uppers on a single lower, and there are tons of parts available in the states. In SA, both the upper receiver and the barrel are controlled parts so that versatility is not so available without having to register more than one upper assembly.

On an SP1, you would need a flat top upper with a shorter barrel, a rear sight assembly, the Eotech (I am personally an Aimpoint fan myself) with base / mount and a collapsible stock tube with buffer and that Magpul stock in order to approximate that rifle.

The A1 / A2 carry handle configuration does not lend itself so well to optics but a non magnifying optic can be forward mounted (not on top of the carry handle) with the right mounts. The barrel allegedly can be cut and recrowned even with chrome bore (although that might or might not actually work out for you...I have no experience with having one cut) The railed fore ends are sold many places (B&T makes a nice one but it is pricey) and collapsible stocks and tubes are not difficult to find, even if Magpul won't ship to SA. I won't say it is easy but it can be done.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Frank, if you could get the gun in your first post you'd be doing very well, it looks like it dots all the T's and crosses all the I's and probably won't need any upgrades other than optics.

Check out Colt, LMT ( Lewis Machine) and Noveske which I believe are the 3 to have of the impingement guns. Wilson probably isn't there because of cost, I think its semi-custom and there'll be a couple more in this stable.

As a preference I'd look at LMT or LWRC for a piston AR, which I think may be a better system or HK if you feeling flush.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

cheaperthandirt.com has a shrowd that fits over the carry handle - fits onto that hole in the carry handle. It's simular to the picatiny type mounts and allows one to add on 3 accessories like a scope, torch etc. The scope sits quite high though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    Like to hear from those in the know. Whats the best AR to purchase, modify ,etcetera?
    Thinking that this Wilson may be my next buy.
    Lets hear the advice.
    Unfortunately I dont have any pics of mine. I bought a standard Colt AR-15 about a year ago. I imported a new handguard, flat top receiver, comp, grip and adjustable stock. I had my gunsmith fit all of it and I am loving every minute of it. I purchased an eotech locally and fitted a 4x flip to side magnifier for those long shots.... Will try to get some pics asap...
    IMO - any ar will do if you can import the products...

User

It is a mission getting anything form the US especially this format, although not impossible. Short barrels (shorter than 16") will not be exported without serious end user certificates.

Have you considered Eu as a source - look at Oberland Arms - very high quality AR's and many models to choose from. Also Saber Defence (?) in UK.

Any sight mounted on the carry is high - look at a forward mount that places the sight (Aimpoint for example) forward an low of the carry handle - also allows co-witness on existing iron sights.

Easiest for us here in SA is to find a SP1Car and modify it (I am sure they will pop out from now until end of June) . With the SP1 platform you will have very good parts to start with - good light barrel (I prefer the low profile barrels because it compliments the AR as a light very usable and fast CQB rifle) - difficulty is with parts from the US. The Magpul stock can be had from Brownells. My front quad rail handguard is Daniel Defense, flat top is Wilson.

I have changed my config a little bit since the pic and like it more that way
    1. replaced the Noveske KX3 flash hider/comp with a Smith Entr - I though from the start that I was going to need the extra back pressure from the Noveske to make the gun reliable with the shorter barrel but it is not necessary.
    2. replaced the Eotech with a Aimpoint Micro (5 year constant on battery life at setting 8 /12 - amazing led technology - several of the LED for on a pin head!! - how is that for size).

The rifle runs flawlessly.

User

Mozee a lot of guys will want to know the source of the handguard and flat top becuase it is difficult to get hose parts shipped from the US from a dealer. ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    Mozee a lot of guys will want to know the source of the handguard and flat top becuase it is difficult to get hose parts shipped from the US from a dealer. ;)
    A dealer in the US sent me the parts. Will try to find out if he is prepared to still do it.

Are you looking at selling the eotech?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast