As posted before: I received this Mauser 8x57 JS from a friend of mine....after discussions with Phillip at Central Gas Witank(Emalahleni) he suggested , after taking the rifle apart and showing me the cracks in the stock...that I need to get hold of a new or another stock.....(this was the best service I received from a gun shop to date).

Phillip suggested that I consult Johan Greyling (gunsmith) in Witbank, he phoned Johan on the spot and asked if I he do have a stock available...Johan confirmed that he may have a stock for my Mauser available..

Arriving at Johan` s shop at his house alongside Bass Pond premises, Johan search for a stock with in his collection...not finding a suitable stock , he remove a stock from one of his personal weapons...explaining that he build himself a stock that he can fit on the his rifle...giving me the stock for R150 and made it fit as well....

Thus I commence to restore the new -old stock....sanding down with 650gn sanding paper...sanding sealer the first and second layer...sanding it down between layers.

Then I started to apply True oil , rubbing it on with my bare hands and rubbing it evenly in thin layers until my hand palms got as hot as fire.and the stock as well...but you need to persist to acquire a good finish..leaving the stock to dry for at least 12 to 24 hours in the sun...

I am now on the third layer...will add more pictures as I progress...

I have in the meantime bought a Nikon 3-9x50mm Nikoplex matte finish to use with my Mauser....I will keep your guys posted as I progress with the process... tommorow the metal piece will go into the gun blue tank....