Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What not to do under the new Anti Terrorism Laws

Right, a little story.

So I was walking around Heathrow a while back minding my own business, holding a pink carrier bag full of my wife's cosmetics and stuff (trying to look cool) while she went to check in. How often does she ask you to hold a bag of hers while she does something?

So, the next minute I have 4 armed police officers on me with MP5's. OK, so they weren't attacking or pointing them at me, but 2 approached, and surrounded me, while the other 2 set up a parameter. ( theres a little over exaggeration there) I was pretty impressed, as it was the first time I'd seen an MP5 close up, I have eyed these guys on previous occasions, but never really been up close, but always wanted to get a better look. The polite officer proceeded to ask me what I was carrying and who it belonged to. I explained and they asked me to prove it, which I managed. They also asked for my name, address, where I worked, job title, if I had ever been in trouble with the law, my wife's name, where she worked etc etc, which I thought was a bit unnecessary, but they explained that they have the right to stop and search people who looked suspicious and I looked suspicious carry a bag full on woman's accessories, I told them I looked gay, not suspicious, but thought that they must have been have a quite day. I wasn't being rude or cooperative at all, honest.

They then proceeded to call through all my details, while writing down all my info (height, build, clothing, and previous mentioned info) and showing me a pamphlet on this law. I'd lost interest awhile ago already and was a bit embarrassed by the crowd that had now gathered. So I thought I'd make some small talk with the younger of the 2 officers.

And this was my mistake, so officer, 'how do you like the MP5, how do you find the EOTech, nice Glock.' Big mistake! 1st officer stops writing and looks up gasping,' how do you know what guns and optics we have, why the interest in firearms, why are you concerned about how we are armed? This made the officer extremely suspicious, and wasn't easy explaining that I just have an interest in firearms, he didn't seem to think it was normal. I think I may just be on the young offenders list now ;)

Wow, wasn't expecting this, I was just trying to make small talk. Lesson learned, don't talk about anything related to well, ... anything, in Airports!

By the way, the guy turned and said as he was walking away that he preferred the iron sights to the EOTech.

It was actually quite a professional and funny incident all at once, and laughed about it afterwards!

Anybody else had similar experiences?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: What not to do under the new Anti Terrorism Laws

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D man please tell me you asked for the CCTV footage on this, or do you still have the pamphlet I am seriously rotflmao (btw, we need an emoticon for that ;D)
    Ahh I wish I was there.

Ok bear two things in mind
    1 The British Bobby is no longer the nice, polite figure he once was! No more Dixon of Dock Green to be found! More thin blue line with Rowan Atckinson
    2 They were likely more scared of you than you were of them, funny I know, let ,me explain. Average Brit Cop is not raised in a firearms culture, I have great friends who still serve with the Met and whenever we speak they still express an amazement and uncomfort at a weapons carrying policeman, (the reverse is obviously true for me!) so these guys are trained in all their tactical interviewing techniques etc etc all trained up for the next terrorist attack (which will likely be an IED attack which a copper with a gun has very little chance of doing anything about) so there he is holding all the hardware (but still a little nervous about it), having done all the training but not getting real operations out of his training as say the SA Cops so that he can become familiar with using all his training and all his gear and become comfortable, hence these guys (who are not that well geared on mental prep btw) are defacto treating their duties as training exercises, and their training tells them that they will treat all subjects as potential hostile (very true) and will not attempt to engage the subject in any form of humour or bantering (I disagree on this but then I believe sharp wits to be more important than a loaded weapon) (in that battle the average British Bobby is under armed in my opinion)

;D
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

If they had done this in the US (whose average LEO is far better trained IMHO) they would have faced significant problems should you have decided to push the issue smacks of driving whilst being Hispanic or in your case walking whilst appearin Gay! ;D
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

I have not been out of the country and have only been on 4 return domestic flights in SA and on the last one I had to bring down a Airsoft Pistol with steel slide back from JHB to PE on a BA flight and this was a mission on its own.

I however think that the comments made by abhm is very valid. The copper in the service of her majesty is not comfortable with firearms and in my opinion that whole society has gone soft and venerable. They are expecting a attack similar to the 911 attack and they live in fear, they will deny it but it is the truth.

Airports in countries like the USA and Britain has become sterile environments where you should rather not even consider to fart. Also if we look at what abhm said and you look at the British people, there humor is different and they are more 'stiff upper lip' and this is reinforced in their training to handle these situations.

The problem is knowledge of local culture and way's. In SA you know the culture and to what extend you can make a joke. As soon as you move away from this comfort zone you need to be more aware of your actions as it might be out of line with the local culture. One of the things that these coppers are looking for are for actions out of line as this is also caused by stress and a person planning a devious deed, especially if he is going to go down with it, is under stress and his actions are out of line like wondering around. Also when ending up in such a situation like this, the best way is to handle the situation clinical and cooperative even if you do not agree.

I am still laughing at this story ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I found the pamphlet, the pictures are coming! 8)
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I'd never throw this away, she's indebted to me for life for causing this embarrassment! ;D
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks you made my day!

I am still laughing ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had two similar experiences, one before these new anti terror era in October 1995. Arriving at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel, my father had a Mum for Men; roll on deodorant in his baggage. On the X-ray scanning it looks like some sort of mini rifle grenade, and just to helped us over the edge, I’ve added my old metal anti snake bite tin, filled with std survival gear and they took that for some sort of anti personnel mine with their “fancy x-ray vision”. Well you can imagine what happened. We’ve ended up surrounded by dozens of IDF soldier, clearing most other civilians from the area. Then they’ve asked us in a “very polite manner” to explain after showing us the lovely x-ray images. Well after repacking every little piece of our luggage we were welcomed with red faces to Israeli soil.

The other incident was in Sep 2005, I’ve decide to buy myself a Top Gear MP 5 Bag / Rucksack in Hong Kong. With no space or weight available in my excess luggage, I’ve had to take it as extra hand baggage (It does not appear to be a rifle bag, just incase you thought I am an idiot to take such a bag on a plane.). Arriving at the airport, I’ve booked my luggage and was busy approaching the passenger’s entrance, when I’ve suddenly felt that I am been followed and noticed two policemen on their radio. It’s just that feeling; you know that they are not chatting about yesterday’s lunch, but busy reporting something about you. The next moment two more arrived around the corner on my right hand side. The first two officers stopped me and asked me what the contents of the bag were. The other two was in ready position with their MP5’s and kept a small distance. After explaining my situation why I had the bag and why I was traveling alone, they’ve apologized for the inconvenience and explained that they knew it was a MP5 bag as some of them are using the same type of bag and had to make sure there is no firearm in the bag before I enter passenger area.

It seems that this happens every ten years. Well in 2015 I will only travel with soft toys and no metal boxes or rifle or pink bags! Glad to hear I’m not the only suspicious one in town. Craig, I must confess that I am very glad that it wasn’t my pink bag that you were holding. It was excellent to read you story!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast