User

Default Competition Loads for IPSC - Where, what to buy?

OK, this is probably slightly premature, since I am still awaiting my license for my GLOCK 34, but what the heck :-)

I am by no means a balistic expert, and suspect that I still have plenty to learn about sport-shooting in general... so let us assume that I can point a FA, and fire it (and hit the target some of the time)... but that is where my expertise on the subject ends.

I am currently not in a position to reload my own ammo (that may come later), and as such I need some of your expert advice on what ammo to buy for competition use in IPSC. 9X19 ammo, for above mentioned GLOCK 34, which has a longer barrel than a 17 (which I believe results in a higher bullet velocity - relatively speaking).

Will need to make power factor for minor, which is 125 (or more realistically around 130-135 ?)... and the bullets would need to be CMJ or FMJ's. I suspect that I would be using around 300 during matches on a monthly basis, plus an unspecified number of rounds for practice. (just out of interest).

I suspect that most factory ammo is a little "hotter" than the ball-park 130 Power factor, which induces more recoil and muzzle flip? Would I be correct with this assumption?

Do I go for a lighter bullet with more relative 'load' (115g), or a heavier bullet with slightly less load (124g) - even heavier perhaps?. How does either affect accuracy and muzzle flip at the same power factor? How is accuracy over distane affected by the weight of the bullet? (Please, just remember I am clueless about this ballistics stuff. LOL )

So, what do I buy, and from where? (Keeping in mind that I believe there is a difference in range ammo vs Competition ammo).

What do the rest of the non-self-reloading IPSC guys use in 9X19?

Help a guy out here ... LOL!
    Tx

User

Default Re: Competition Loads for IPSC - Where, what to buy?

You shouldn't have a problem factoring with any over the counter ammo. You are obviously going to shoot the 34 in STD Minor. I'm assuming the gunis new, so be careful of buying reloaded stuff as it could void the warrenty, unless your Glock is Grey (Not only in colour, but also origin, in which case the warrenty would not matter). Bought ammo gets very pricey, especially if the bug bights and you find yourself shooting every week-end. My best advice is shop around, get the price of ammo. Also get the prices of components. Primers, Powder, Cases (Chat to shops with shooting ranges/training providers - that is where I source all mine) and Frontier 124gr CMJ's and do a cost comparison. It'll frighten you how quickley you'll motivate the press. I'm sure someone at your club will help you with the basics and "tutor" you till you 're confident to bash them out yourself.