Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kudu with .243

User

Default Kudu with .243

Good day gents.
    I have a hunting trip cumming up and dont have my licence for my 30-06 yet. The only caliber at my disposal is a .243 with 140gr bullets, and i plan to take a kudu cow with this.
    I am a fair shot and have hunted plenty kudu but always with the 30-06. what will be the best shot placement other than headshot with this caliber(Know it is very risky).

Is there someone out there that can give us a diagram of the killzones of the most popular game (vital organ placements in the body)

User

Default Re: Kudu with .243

What I am going to say is going to be seen by many as controversial but ...........here goes. A 243 is seen by most hunters as marginal for Kudu but in reality it is extremely effective if you take a logical approach. (BTW Where do you get 140gr bullets for a 243? The heaviest I know of is a 107 SMK!) If you are nervous use a premium bullet - 100gr Rhinos will do very well. Shoot just behind the shoulder to break ribs and damage lung tissue - double lung if you can. For this the standard 100gr soft point at about 2900fps is fine as long as you are not too close - 100m+ is fine as it gives the bullet time to slow down. Take your time and place the shot well! I have done it. Good luck.

Banned

kdup001, I wouldn't hesitate shooting a medium sized kudu cow with a .243 and a good bullet. Put the bullet in the same place as you would with the .30-06. Assuming a broadside shot and a distance of under 200m I'd recommend a high heart shot. If you're looking for a diagram for shot placement take a peak at the book "The Perfect Shot" by Kevin Robertson. He's a touch on the over-cautious side re: caliber recommendation but I can understand why. The shot placement diagrams give one a good depiction of internal anatomy, which is crucial. There was also an article in a previous Magnum by Koos Barnard where he touched on this specific matter and also made the statement that kudu are not particularly tough beasts or hard to kill, which I tend to agree with.

Rule of thumb for shot placement (broadside): Divide the animal in half from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the brisket, then divide the lower half in half again, this line gives you horizontal shot placement. If the animal's front legs are open (i.e. you can see light between the legs), divide a line in the middle of both legs (i.e. in the "light" triangle) and travel up. If the front legs are together (i.e. you can only see one leg / no light), then just draw a similar line up the middle of the leg or just behind it. This line gives you vertical shot placement. Now, where the imaginary horizontal line and the imaginary vertical line intersect is the center of the heart/lung area and all things being equal is the best place to put your bullet. This method works for pretty much all antelope.

I am sure it can be done with a 243. Personally I wouldn't.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

hi guys
    Thanks for the bullet info Dave I dont know the .243 at all and this is a loan from my brother in law and he were talking about 140 gr bullets but i will ask him to get 100gr rhinos.
    Thanks for the shot plasement info Deon this will come in very handy because i think that shot placement with this caliber on this game is of atmost importance as Kudu is not the cheapest
    game out there.

Will let you know how it went hopefully with photos of the meanest kudu mother

User

140gr for 243???

Quote Originally Posted by pietskie.
    140gr for 243???
    I have been thinking the same?????

User

A very good affordable bullet is the PMP ProAmm - I have a friend who shoots absolutely everything with 130gr ProAmms in his 270. You must avoid the shoulder bones and other risky shots (as we all should do anyway!) - leave the shot if the Kudu is not well poisitioned and you cannot get in behind the shoulder. If you put the bullet behind the shoulder into the lungs you get 1 x dead kudu - period! I would not hesitate to shoot a Kudu with a 243! If you want a head shot then shoot at the mniddle of the white chevron on the head from the front or pin it in the ear from the side. Avoid the neck on big bulls - too much "strong stuff in there.

Shot all my kudu with a 243 (100grn). Some might disagree but i have had very pleasing results. Try keep within 200 yards ;D

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

+1 on previous info.

Got a nice young bull last year with a lung shot using factory 100gr ammo in my 6mm Musgrave.

Can be done & was done for years on our farm as well, but shot placement is the key.

Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast