Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How many mags should you have?

New gun owners often ask what extras to buy after taking delivery of their new blaster. After spending cash on essentials like a good holster, belt and ammo, most people think they’re all set and need little more. The most often overlooked item is the firearm’s magazines. Yes, you can get by with the 2 or 3 mags that come with the gun, but that setup is far from optimal.

It’s a good idea to have at least six magazines for your primary carry-gun. The reason being is that you should consider separating your carry mags from your practice mags. If you have six mags, take 3 as your EDC mags (after making sure they work with your carry ammo) and use the other 3 as your harduse, knockarounds. Mark or number them if you can. The minimum sets of three ensure you can have one mag in your gun and two on the belt if desired. You will thus be able to train the way you carry. You don’t HAVE to carry three mags or more (that’s up to you), but it’s good to have the option if you’re expecting a bad day. Also consider buying a few new mags every year and putting your old EDC mags into practice rotation.

“But why should I” you ask? “My Megablaster 3000 has a reputation for excellent magazines and they can take being dropped in fine sand and on concrete.” Well yes, most modern firearms have excellent and quality mags. However, like all things mechanical and man-made, they will eventually fail. These failures will be accelerated by hard-use wear and tear. Do you really want to suffer a mag related malfunction when somebodys about to shoot or stab you? Do you want to think about the 1 mag out of the 5 you own that was giving you crap the last time you were on the range and you mixed them all up when you went home? Maybe that crappy mag is now in your carry gun and all hells broken loose!

Also, consider the fact that your greasy, range-spooged hands are all over your carry ammo every time you have to unload/load them when practising because you don’t have dedicated training mags. Training properly mean mags will be hitting the deck at some stage (if they aren't you should be working on your emergency reloads!). The sand and other dirt that’s creeped into a mag after practise is now happily clinging to the ammo which you may need to save your life. It may be unlikely your ammo is contaminated but it’s certainly not outside the realm of reality for a dirt encrusted round to cause a stoppage. You need to stack the odds in your favour and keeping your carry mags in prime condition helps you to do that.

Another good reason to have plenty of practice spare mags is training. If you go on a course, you’re holding everyone up because you have to run back, open ammo boxes and load more mags if you only have two and everyone else has four, for example. The same goes for competition shooting. Also, if you’re on a tight timeline and can only slip away from work for little while to go to the range, it helps that you have multiple mags loaded and ready to go when you get there.

There are no absolutes and many people have gotten by with the same mags they’ve run for years if not decades. But why tempt fate when there's an easy solution right in front of you. This article may be obvious to a lot of the experienced shooters out there and I'm sure there are a few "well, DUH!"'s as they read this. However, it's a good plan for everyone to do a mag audit and see exactly where they stand.
    Last edited by Thorkind; 10-01-2012 at 10:47.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: How many mags should you have?

Good point made, one often overlooks the basics and buys toys for the gun. In cycling it was called the "all the gear and no idea brigade". I fear am quite guilty of this, too.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Mags are gold!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well put SSP
    MOLON LABE

User

So true, i have 3 carry mags and 5 range mags.

I also cycle my carry mags every year to range mags and get new carry mags.

User

Can't this be stickied to avoid another million threads asking this question?
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

User

Great post dude.

I have at least 30 mags for my 2 17's. Makes life much easier. And allows me to baby my carry mags.

Good post!!! I'm buying a mag for my G17 and G26 every month and building up slowly. I'm on 6 G17 mags and 5 +2 G26 mags. I EDC 4 mags as well. One in the gun and 3 on the belt.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    Mags are gold!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well put SSP
    Not me dude.

That it wasn't my post lends more weight to it in any event!

I hate storing ammunition in boxes. I also hate empty magazines.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Only see now, ha ha. Was browsing from the phone and for some reason thought you posted it.

Well put thorkind!
    MOLON LABE

User

Hey! I missed this and am now glad that it has been pointed out.

Thanks Thorkind - good article!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast