User

Default Combatives training-anyone keen?

Howsit all

In my quest to be better at all round self defence I would like to get some combatives training on a regular basis.

A good friend of mine is a good trainer and is willing to help me out and train a group of people if anyone is keen.

The cost will be low and just to cover his expenses etc (something like R50 a session). The idea is to get 6-8 like minded guys/girls together once a week and do some training.

Still need a venue but it will be in the JHB area and specifically Rooseveldt, Linden, or somewhere near.

This is not an accredited class and as such cannot be called Krav, or anything similar. It will basically be aimed at firearm owners and will be combatives to complement the edc lifestyle.

So this is just a question to see if there are at least 5 more guys available that want to train.

Please PM me if your keen, also note I am in no way benefiting from this except that I will be able to train with him, Ill be paying for this too.

cheers all

No disrespect intended but what is your friends name and what are his credentials? What system / basis does he base his training on? This info might help people decide whether training with him is worthwhile or not.

Also don't hold your breath. In my experience many people talk about training but few actually do it and even fewer stick with it for the long run. Proper Combatives is hard work with lots of sore muscles, bruises and the odd sprained joint or torn ligament.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you, just telling it as it is. It is in my opinion very worthwhile training to do. I am now in my second year of Combatives training with Swattie in PTA East and it is one of the best decisions I have made. I have learnt a lot in the past year but am still a newby as far as Combatives are concerned and looking forward to learn stacks more.

Go for it and best of luck with your initiative.

User

Default Re: Combatives training-anyone keen?

LukeS I would be very keen but the traveling is a bit heavy! I'm in the Cape!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    No disrespect intended but what is your friends name and what are his credentials? What system / basis does he base his training on? This info might help people decide whether training with him is worthwhile or not.Also don't hold your breath. In my experience many people talk about training but few actually do it and even fewer stick with it for the long run. Proper Combatives is hard work with lots of sore muscles, bruises and the odd sprained joint or torn ligament.Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you, just telling it as it is. It is in my opinion very worthwhile training to do. I am now in my second year of Combatives training with Swattie in PTA East and it is one of the best decisions I have made. I have learnt a lot in the past year but am still a newby as far as Combatives are concerned and looking forward to learn stacks more.Go for it and best of luck with your initiative.
    Thanks Rudes and no worries man. I understand that guys may want to know credentials etc and am also very aware of pissing off people in the industry by doing this as the guy is not registered with any organisation or club. Rather he just has experience in many different systems. If guys want formal training this is not for them but if a bunch of guys just want to get together and train with some guidance then this may help.I'm with you on the hard work aspect. Let's see what happens.Thanks for the input.Cheers

Default Re: Combatives training-anyone keen?

best of luck with that.
    a buddy and i started a similar thing,a month or so ago,mainly to parctice what we've learnt.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS
    Thanks Rudes and no worries man. I understand that guys may want to know credentials etc and am also very aware of pissing off people in the industry by doing this as the guy is not registered with any organisation or club. Rather he just has experience in many different systems.
    Don't confuse credentials with being registered with a specific group or organization,it is not necessarily the same. If your friend bases his training on concepts from a few recognized disciplines and adds variations based on his own experience to the mix it should be good to go.

I am not a big fan of very rigid disciplines because we are all different and have our own strengths and weaknesses. What I like about my current training environment is that it is very flexible. I have adapted some strikes, etc slightly to better suit me and my trainer is quite happy to allow me to do this. He will also always discuss, but mostly demonstrate, why certain things might work better than others. This is a very challenging environment and we can all learn a lot from each other.