User

Default To Restore or Not To Restore, that is the question

I have been wondering, what are peoples opinions on restoring a collectable firearm.
    By this I mean refinishing it and restoring it to look new.
    By this I mean doing it properly, like buying original grips to replace the buggered ones, reblueing the firearm that was blued in the factory, replacing dinged sights with original ones
    Or should a collectable firearm be left in it original state for as long as possible to show it's wounds of war so to speak

Default Re: To Restore or Not To Restore, that is the question

As I understand it, any refinishing destroys or damages the piece's collectablity.

You could probably replace parts, as long as they are original and not serialised, like some Lugers.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I see where you are coming from.
    Tis a slipperly slope, do you restore a collectable to it's former glory, or do you leave it be in it's original state.

Personally the only reason I would do any form of restoring, would be if leaving it as is results in more damage eg rust or pitting on the unblued or worn parts

It depends on the rarity of the item in question and the degree of restoration. If the item is really rare like a Broomhandle ConeHammer or Purdey shotgun for restoring it will destroy its value. If it is somehting common like an Enfield .303 then it has relatively little value and restoration would not be an issue. Always best to ask an expert in the field PRIOR to embarking on a restoration project.

I learned one piece of cardinal knowledge, relevant to all collectors from Andrew at Classic Arms: When restoring a collectable firearm, the amount you spend can be safely subtracted from the original value. Implying that the more money you spend on your collectables, the less they are worth.

I passed up a beautifull HK VP70 last year when I found that it had been reblued and didn't have the factory finish - just to find another VP70 in original condition at Classic Arms, with some holster wear, but otherwise in good shape.

I spoke to a gunsmith friend of mine on the subject of rust etc. in original firearms, and he told me of a "museum wax" that they use to preserve these.

For most collectors, any level of refinish, no matter how well done, destroys the collector's value. Far better to sell the piece you have and add money to get one in better condition...from a collector's view. If, however, you want a using gun and don't care about collector values, restore away.

The wax used is 'Renissance Wax', sold by...among others, Brownell's.

http://www.conservationresources.com...ction39_08.htm
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Thanks for the name ikor! I am on the lookout for some of that wax to store and preserve my VP70 and hubby's 116yr old Webly that he is so fond of shooting... ;-)

User

When faced with this question, reflect upon...
    You can allways re-blue a firearm but after that you can never, ever return it to its original patina. And, besides, that wear and tear and a scratch here and there tell a long story.
    I'm a collector