User

Default Re Night Vision scopes In SA

Hi Guys, is hunting allowed in SA with NV scopes??, as it is allowed in the uk
    mostly for rabbit, and fox shooting, i shoot with Gen-! and Gen-2 Nv scopes
    all of my shooting is rabbits because they are mostly nocturnal feeders
    and are a major pest over here, if legal in SA what prey do you guys shoot??
    regds brian

Banned

Default Re: Re Night Vision scopes In SA

Is it that cloudy in England?

Most of what I have seen, spotlights are used. Big game stands and stares at you when using spotlights

User

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Is it that cloudy in England?

Most of what I have seen, spotlights are used. Big game stands and stares at you when using spotlights
    shot
    Hi Emilio, its mostly small game we shoot at night , shooting birds
    with lamps or nv scopes iis not allowed, a lot of shooters over here love nv
    shooting , i do it on a regular basis as i can bag more rabbits at night with them being nocturnal feeders, i also shoot foxes as they are a big pest
    on a friends chicken farm, 15 foxes so far since november,and the farmer has
    shot 25 foxes ,
    atb brian

User

I have shot some Bush-pigs at night but on a full moon you do not need the night vision. I believe night shooting is mainly for pest control but you do get some irresponsible/drunk hunters who go out to shoot animals at night but as Emilio said we mostly use spotlights in the farmers fields etc.

Leopard is also hunted at night but they use a adjustable light witch you turn brighter very very slowly and the hunter shoots as soon as you can see the cross-hairs on his quarry. Our neighbors to the north hunt leopard during the day because the leopards go to the bait in the late afternoon and leave when the sun rises in order to avoid other predators. Hyena is also hunted at night with a bait and spotlight.

I do have a friend that uses night vision goggles with his bow to hunt bush-pigs but i have never heard of someone hunting with a night vision scope over here but I am sure it is done from time to time. I believe the cost involved is just to great for an average hunter, they can get a good spotlight for R1000 and can get a adjustable light made for less than R200. the night vision scopes are more than 10 times the price of a decent spotlight and for something you do not use often it is probably a waste of money.