Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Scorpion,Tradtions,Hornady sabbots

Hi Guys

What sabbots do you use on the range and what do you use when hunting?Myself and Smokepole have been using 260-300gr Scorpion sabbots on the range as they are affordable,accurate,easy to load with the crushed ribs and give tight groupings.I have some Hornady 250 and 300gr SST'S and have fired some of them also with good results,but they are very pricey.I have also fired the traditions look a like of the Hornady,the only thing that I have found to be different is the yellow tip.Both the Hornady and Traditons sabbot have a very steamline and neat look to them and it seems they will "mushroom" nicely and do a good job when hitting vitals and will have good weight retention.The Scorpion sabbot has a much meaner look to it than the above mentioned,I would like to do some hunting with them as they are so accurate and gives me tight groupings.But my concern is meat damage,has anyone used them for hunting and was there a lot of meat damage?

Default Re: Scorpion,Tradtions,Hornady sabbots

A very popular choice is the Hornady Crush rib sabbot (black ones) with a .454 Casull 340gr CMJ. Cost on one of these works out at around R2-20. These make really pretty sabbots, and depending on your rifle, they work quite well for hunting and range shooting. Keep in mind, that all rifles don't like the same sabbots, so what works for one, might not work for another.

User

Morning Sands

You are absolutely right by saying different rifles perform better with different sabbots.Are these sabbots perhaps available in 250-300gr?as the CVA booklet says 300gr sabbots maximium.At R2-20 a sabbot it would be an absolute pleasure to fire 20-30 shots on the range,and a lot cheaper than some of the other sabbots.

User

At R2-20 a sabbot im also interested. Are you sure that includes the plastic cup and bullet?

Beaing a dealer, I have requested an updated quote from my suppliers, and will post the outcome here with a pic or two (Also keep an eye on the Flint and Musket website for new prices). The casull cmj's are out of stock at the moment, and the manufacturing plant seems to be a bit backed up. Will do the ring up and shake up tomorrow and give the 2012 price. I am estimating around R3-50 each by now, but that is just an estimate. The last batch I sold was R2-25 when assembled. Still a WHOLE LOT cheaper than R10 each....

User

Hi Sands

Please put my name on the list if you can get 250-300gr as the manufacturer recommed nothing heavier than 300gr for the CVA Optima.Thanks.

Still awaiting feedback on the sabbots. Also enquired about the weights available.

Finally received feedback from both suppliers.
    The Casull CMJ's come in 300gr, 340gr and 390gr.
    Pricing on them is R300 per packet for 300&340gr but R350 on the 390gr. (roughly 200 in packet)
    The packet of Crush Rib sabbots, is R150 for 50
    This gives R4-50 to R5 per sabbot.
    At this rate, it is much more affordable. Stock will arrive at around the end of the month since the cmj's still need to be produced.

User

+ sdx which could be around R3-3.50 + primer R1.00 = looking at R8-9 a shot. If we can find a accurate lead bullet it can be less than R1 per bullet.

User

Hi Sands

So am I understanding it correctly...R150 per 50 crush rib sabbots and is it available in the .50 caliber 300gr?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast