Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Hoppes No. 9 question

Hi guys,

I recently bought a bottle of Hoppes no 9 to clean my rifle barrels. I thought it was a copper solvent as well, but apparently not (according to some friends). But today some of my patches came out with a little bit of blue on them which is usually a sign of copper removal.

So my question: does a standard bottle of hoppes no 9 remove copper or not? Or is there a specific hoppes product for copper removal?

I don't soak my barrel in hoppes. Should I?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Hoppes No. 9 question

dont soak
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Thanks KK20. Any idea what the blue residue was on the patches?

User

rboshoff,
    I've always used Hoppes No9 as a nitro solvent to clean my handguns over the years. Very effective in removing fouling and lead depositing from barrels. It will also remove copper fouling, eventually.
    This product has been around since the dead sea was still ill. When copper fouling became a bigger issue, Hoppes introduced the Hoppes Benchrest copper remover, which is far more effective in removing copper fouling than the original No9.
    It would not be my first choice as a copper remover, it would take too long.
    No9 is also used as aftershave by certain gun enthisiasts

User

I much prefer a dab of Young's 303 oil behind the ears, in the wrists and behind the (creaking) knees...hehehe

My father had a can of Forrest bore foam and I know that worked like a charm! But I haven't been able to find any, that is why I bought the Hoppes (in the hope of getting rid of copper fouling).

But a friend recently tracked down Forrest bore foam at VLT in PTA, so I guess I will have to go visit them!

User

Oh and thanks for the input THOMAST

Hi rboshoff

I use Hoppes no. 9 Bench Rest solvent & it seems to work well enough at removing powder & copper fouling. Can't say that it is better or worse than any others though. On the label it says to clean the barrel as per usual & then when you have clean dry patches after running them through the barrel, to run one more patch soaked in the solvent & leave it overnight in the barrel before continuing the usual wet dry patch routine the next day. ..... Mmm, maybe an an indirect admission that it is not too good at removing copper fouling? Not sure, time to try another solvent & compare the two.

I used that Forrest Milfoam the other day. The patch that came out looked like it was cut from one of my jeans.

User

I have some Forrest bore cleaning foam on my rack of solvents. Nice 'n easy way to clean your barrel. It does tend to leave a residue in the barrel afterwards, which I suppose protects the bore from corrosion. The problem I have with this is that the first 5-8 shots through the "clean" barrel will not be as accurate as the following shots. I think this is because the residue is shot out with the first couple of shots. I solved this problem by pushing a jag with some acetone through the barrel, followed up by a clean patch, just before going to the range. With this procedure I found very little impact difference between fouling shot and follow up shots.
    Be careful to protect the wood stock finish with something (old towel or stock sleeve) as acetone will remove the finish.
    I now use this method (Industrial acetone, not your wife/GF nail polish remover) with all cleaning methods before going to the range with great results in my rifles.

User

ThomasT, what if you run a patch with a solvent through before shooting? Something like hoppes or RAM 3 in 1 to clean the Forrest residue?

I will definitely have to get some Forrest!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast