User

Default Anyone selling any Black Powder Revolver Reproductions? New Cape Town enthusiast!

Greetings community! I have been browsing these boards for a little while now, and have learned a lot of info from you guys.
    My interest in Black Powder guns was ignited (ha) when I started researching online for an accurate reproduction / prop for a photo project I have coming up. This lead me into the replica world, and soon after that, to black powder guns, which for their look alone immediately got me interested, seemingly far more authentic than the non firing replicas. From there and other research, I was hooked, and now have decided to refine my search locally for one of my own, while starting the black powder licensing, and have also looked at some local clubs here to get more involved.

Been hunting around online. Found some nice new options on online stores, but I am sure the international shipping into the country is going to be a hassle with the disputes about the legality. Also looked at some local store listings, and their prices are fairly high.
    I'm probably looking in this basic range here:
    1860armybrasslg.jpg
    They retail online new for around $250 - $300. So I guess using that as a reference, I'm wiling to spend either side of R2k on something reasonable and second hand, in good condition? I have found some private sellers online, but mostly based in JHB, and I am based here in Cape Town. I do have people traveling down quite often, but mostly by plane, and I assume they wont be very happy with someone bringing a technically unlicensed firearm on board? I assume the same would apply if wanting to use local postage! If you have had different experiences, please let me know!
    So, if anyone in the Cape Town area has anything they'd be willing to part with, or has suggestions for places to check out where you had your own success, please let me know! Additionally, if there are any black powder gun clubs in cape town who would be interested in inviting me around for some photo documentation, I am pretty capable in making pretty pictures and taking shots with my first weapon of choice! Black Powder also looks great on camera with the smoke! Very keen to get some more experience documenting this niche hobby group! Any help with any of

Any assistance on my queries would be greatly appreciated!

User

Default Re: Anyone selling any Black Powder Revolver Reproductions? New Cape Town enthusiast

I seriously doubt you will find anything worthwile for R2k, even secondhand.
    Anycase, the cap-and-ball revolvers are currently still legal to own and shoot without a firearm license. This will change in the near future.
    To shoot a BP gun you would have to obtain a BP permit as well as go for muzzle loading competency training.

If you are a keen BP target shooter, I can recommend the BPSU. They are very active in the Cape town area. PLease keep in mind that these guys take compitition very seriously, and you would have to shoot target using only one hand. Therefore the rollies with the 12" barrels are not desirable. You can maybe attend one of their shoots and decide for yourself. Look at the Mariette class.

www.bpsu.co.za

User

Default Re: Anyone selling any Black Powder Revolver Reproductions? New Cape Town enthusiast

Here is a pic of myself shooting during the BPSU nationals held last year at the Hippo Creek range.

I would recommend you look up the whitesmoke forum as well, they have a great wealth of information available in the archives for new muzzleloader shooters and the members sometimes advertise cap and balls on there as well.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to pick up a reasonable cap and ball revolver for R2000. The secondhands that I have seen recently have all been selling for around R4000 and up - nothing fancy, just some plain regular 1860 Colt and 1858 Remingtons.
    Wishing you all the best.

User

User

I have a Uberti '58 Remington replica. Stainless barrel and cylinder. Frame and grip frame is nickel plated with a little wear showing. Rear notch sight has been fitted to top strap at back and 1/2 dime fitted as front sight. Gun is otherwise (apart from v slight nickel wear) in v good condition and locks up tight. Nipples (no 11) are new. Price R4k. Recently bought Ruger Old Army and selling this one. Contact me at odngunsports@telkomsa.net. Price not negotiable.