Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: IDPA concealment

IDPA is a game/sport yes, but also a basic introduction to the fundamentals of shooting, imho.
    grip, stance, reloading, etc.

real life tactics/mindset? hell no.
    just like people thinking airsoft/paintball suffices by itself. there's no substitute for REAL training, which is sorely lacking in CPT.

*hint hint nudge nudge*

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    there's no substitute for REAL training, which is sorely lacking in CPT.

*hint hint nudge nudge*

have you spoken with Mr Carter?
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Gunna, the short answer is no. If you want to train muscle memory for when SHTF, your reloads might have the muzzle pointing over a berm, or even at the SO, as an example.
    The point I'm trying to make is that all the training you do for IDPA will actually result in you gaining muscle memory, that will come out when SHTF, you cannot have one muscle memory for SHTF and one for IDPA... we frail humans don't work that way.

Don't make it that which it isn't, because you'll ultimately end up with the "Practical Pistol Sports can get you killed"-crowd.
    Oh hell no! I think we'll just have to stick to our separate views. I know it'll make a difference to me is all. ;)

Do you ever, in IDPA, look to see if you aren't perhaps surrounded? That a threat may be behind you? Do you ever even think of pointing your gun uprange?
    TBH I'm trying to do just that. There are also plans afoot for a 360 degree range that have me super excited! I'm not advocating spinning around with your firearm pointing all over the place, but better environmental awareness would be a nice thing to introduce. Would also love more dynamic environments and no course walk through. Of course allot is not practical but things might evolve if we embrace them.
    Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    so in essence IDPA provides a learning template with conducting actions within defined paramters as might be the case in real life.

As is the case in many sports its not the technique that you develop which might be specific for the sport but the other benefits you gain what ever they might be, which has the overall greatest benefit.

Enjoy it for what it is, a great opportunity to practice your skills but more over to have a good time with friends
    Oh this exactly what I'm after abhm. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    Sorry Gunna also to add, I note you are in Jhb, I suggest giving Big T a pm and joining one of his training courses, it would have great benefit for you
    Will do just as soon as my credit card has recovered ;)
    Last edited by Gunna; 21-02-2012 at 11:24.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    There are also plans afoot for a 360 degree range that have me super excited! I'm not advocating spinning around with your firearm pointing all over the place, but better environmental awareness would be a nice thing to introduce. Would also love more dynamic environments and no course walk through. Of course allot is not practical but things might evolve if we embrace them.
    Every SO's nightmare (if you have a 360 degree range then there will be spinning around).

If you want that and want to do it safely then the SO's will need to be professional instructors IMO, which in turn raises the costs (not to mention the insurance premiums) which in turn means less people can afford to do it which leads to the sport dying.

Any sport will have to be a compromise (even training is to a certain extent).
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Ask not what IDPA can do for you, but rather what you can do for IDPA..

User

Pleeeeeeeeeze can we have a "like button" on GS, it'll save me a whole lot of time typing LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    IDPA is a game/sport yes, but also a basic introduction to the fundamentals of shooting, imho.
    grip, stance, reloading, etc.

real life tactics/mindset? hell no.
    just like people thinking airsoft/paintball suffices by itself. there's no substitute for REAL training, which is sorely lacking in CPT.

*hint hint nudge nudge*
    Did you attend the Intro to blade & edged weapons course on Sat 18th Feb 2012? It was held at and advertised through FBGC.

More courses are to follow there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5