Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: IDPA concealment

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    well, i was basically told "no tshirt". even though it covered the entire holster.
    A t-shirt is acceptable BUT it must conceal (covering a handgun is just not good enough - the garment must conceal the handgun) - a too tight t-shirt that "prints" for example is not proper concealment.

It is quite easy to conceal with a MTAC (for example) when wearing a t-shirt and more difficult with a OWB holster and even more so if the holster is a straight drop - with a straight drop it is much more difficult not to have the but of the handgun print through the t-shirt.
    Last edited by DS; 20-02-2012 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    A t-shirt is acceptable BUT it must conceal (covering a handgun is just not good enough - the garment must conceal the handgun) - a too tight t-shirt that "prints" for example is not proper concealment.
    One of the most difficult things i find in concealing with a T-Shirt or Jacket is the bunching up that sometimes happen on top of the FA especially when you stretch for something and then printing when sitting and bending!

User

IMHO those vest jackets are a farce and should not be allowed in IDPA. Honestly, how many people does one see walking around in the streets with these jackets? Suddenly when you get to the range they are the only fashion :D ... maybe I want IDPA to be more a form of training for real life situations than the "game" that I hear allot of people referring to it as... ah well... I'll keep to my little dream and not buy one of those fugly things ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    ... maybe I want IDPA to be more a form of training for real life situations than the "game" that I hear allot of people referring to it as...
    It's all a compromise mate.

You want realistic training? Spend your nights in Hillbrow.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

IMHO those vest jackets are a farce and should not be allowed in IDPA. Honestly, how many people does one see walking around in the streets with these jackets? Suddenly when you get to the range they are the only fashion :D ... maybe I want IDPA to be more a form of training for real life situations than the "game" that I hear allot of people referring to it as... ah well... I'll keep to my little dream and not buy one of those fugly things ;)
    It is a game. As soon as there is a score it will be a game.

If you want training go to a trainer.

maybe I want IDPA to be more a form of training for real life situations than the "game" that I hear allot of people referring to it as.
    Its nice to want things.

However, IDPA is, despite your desires, hopes and dreams, a game.

You will do yourself a huge disservice if you shoot IDPA and confuse it with training.

Seek professional training.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

WOW guys, I think that is a bit harsh. Looks like IDPA might not be for me after all.
    I'll have to stick with accredited training then when funds allow.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ-Flames View Post
    WOW guys, I think that is a bit harsh.
    Not as harsh as being shot in the face doing something on the street that you learnt on an IDPA range, while you thought you were training.

If I come across as harsh, Im ok with that. The advice dispensed on this site may have serious ramifications for the user of that advice, I believe in acting accordingly.

If you want to PRACTICE running a gun (marksmanship, manipulations) under some stress - shoot IDPA.
    If you want to learn the fundamentals of running your gun - seek training.
    If you want to learn tactics (the application of marksmanship and manipulations to life threatning encounters) - seek training.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by TJ-Flames View Post
    WOW guys, I think that is a bit harsh.
    Heh-heh! You think that was harsh? Wait till you experience proper training... mwahaha! ;o)

It's all good bud - IMO IDPA is some of the closest you will get to 'real life' as far as sport shooting goes. Just don't confuse it for real life training, that is all.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Banned

maybe I want IDPA to be more a form of training for real life situations than the "game" that I hear allot of people referring to it as
    You can make it that way if you're prepared to put in the hard yards. There are a few guys that shoot IDPA CoFs as if they were shooting a training drill or "in the real world". That is, the way they pitch up at a match is the way they'll shoot the entire match. No swapping an IWB for an OWB, or their EDC G19 for a G17 with extended whatevers and competition sights or one concealment garment for another more game-friendly garment (in fact they'll shoot each CoF with street-concealment even when not required).

Is this real training, where you're receiving instructions from a trained professional, identifying flaws and honing specific skills through instruction and repetition? No, it's not and it never will be. Is it supplemental to such real training? I would say it can be. As I said, if you're prepared to put in the hard yards.

Maybe reading the "purpose" of IDPA, as contained in the Rule Book, will lend proper context.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast