Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: What rifle scope to get?

Quote Originally Posted by deonh
    Piet, lemme take a wild, wild, wild guess here... you own a Lynx scope, don't you?
    What about Friday?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

no i dont even own 1 lynx. I have a 2-7 by 32 air king. A 3-9 by 40 silver crown and 1.75-6 nickel scope whith range bars that was given to me by my grandad. It was made in germany. Very few of you wil know it. Dont know how many ended up in sa. O yes and i have f@cked up 3-12 by 52 tasco

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    1.75-6 nickel scope
    Now that's a decent scope.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

i was planing on mounting it on my 303 but my 303 wil work hard it wil get dameged. So for now my 303 wil have the 3-9 scope. And when i have it rebareld to 6mm i wil mount a 4-16 lx2 or a 4.5-14 by 40 vari-x3. If i can aford a swarovski by that time i wil get a z6. I might mount the nickel on a 375

User

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCut
    Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    i like them but i wont mount the high mag niko styrling on a 308. I think you are refering to the night eater range. If i were you i would get the lynx. I dont think a night eater wil last on a 308
    Nah it's a GameKing the Nikko Stirling scope. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price. Will then rather go for the LYNX.

Rule of thumb: spend half as much as what you spent on the rifle on what you spend on the scope.
    So I'll have to get a scope worth R7500. A LYNX scope worth R5500 excl mounts etc should do the trick......
    NO - You buy a R5500 Leupold ...... you will be better off this way than with a R5500 Lynx.

I also looked but could not find specs on Lynx's web site iro adjustment spread for elevation and deflection - I really doubt that the Lynx scopes will provide the same generous spread of moa adjustment that Leupold provides - Leupold is known to have the best in the business in this department as well.

I had a 3-9 x40 Lynx a long time ago and it was a great day for me when I replaced it with a VXII. Also had a 8x56 where I experienced the lack in adjustment available - I am not impressed with Lynx and will stick with Leupold for value for money and features.

What scope would you guys fit on a 308 mainly used in the bush,max distance 200-250m
    Not going for the expensive scopes,more looking at an average price.
    I bought a 308 ruger fullstock that will need a scope as soon as the license is done.
    Thanks

Well, IMHO I see a lot of guys 'overscope' rifles because they seem to think a 3X10 or 4X12 gets them more for their money. In your shoes I would look at the Leupold VXII in 2 X 7 power. Great little scope and not too expensive, but it will wring all you can get out of that short barreled Ruger carbine and do it with high quality and light weight. JMO
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Leupold VXII 2-7X33 or 3-9x40 both with the Leupold LR Duplex (reticule). The LR Duplex will help you to confidently shoot at 150-200 and 250-300 with a 100m zero. http://www2.leupold.com/products/Inf...ng_System.htm.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-2-7x33mm/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-3-9x40mm/

I have just mounted a VXII 3-9x40 LR Duplex (old eyes you see) on my Steyr Pro-Hunter and I can absolutely recommend it.

I set up my 308 to shoot 1" high at 100m which gives me a 130m zero with my handloads. Aiming with the first "dot" on the LR Duplex puts the point of impact 2" high on 100m and gives a 165m zero. The second dot would give around 190m zero and around 220m zero on the post below the 2nd dot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4