User

Default 1 dead in Sunninghill shooting

1 dead in Sunninghill shooting
    Phakamile Hlubi | 52 min

One person was killed and another hurt in a shooting in Sunninghill, northern Johannesburg on Wednesday morning.

It is believed that four men attempted to hold up employees at Builders Warehouse.

They demanded money but when nothing was made a available, they tried to hijack a customer’s van from the parking lot.

It is alleged that the driver resisted, shots were fired and the men fled on foot.

Police officers are on the scene talking to witnesses and trying to piece together the details of the incident.

A witness who saw the drama unfold said, “I heard a pop sound on my left which is where the Builders Warehouse is.”

“I saw people standing on the corner Rivonia and Witkoppen looking in that direction and pointing in that direction.”

“I saw a white guy, I think he was wearing shorts and light blue-ish top.”

“He was running away from the whole commotion and then he fell down.”

“Shortly after that I saw another two guys, one with a gun, running towards a white bakkie. I could not make out the details.”

Police are searching the surrounding area for the assailants.

(Edited by Clare Matthes)

http://www.ewn.co.za/Story.aspx?Id=83158

User

Default Re: 1 dead in Sunninghill shooting

I question:
    SO it is OK to say "a white guy" but not the race of the "another 2 guys" ?
    Guess more info will come out later on what whent down

User

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...house-20120222
    Johannesburg - A Builders Warehouse shopper was shot dead on Wednesday when four men attempted to rob the store, Johannesburg police said.
    The shooting occurred at the Rivonia branch at around 06:40, said Captain Kym Cloete.
    "Employees and security at Builders Warehouse were busy opening the business for the day and they were then approached by one suspect dressed in security uniform," said Cloete.
    They let him in because he was in uniform, but he then held them at gunpoint and was joined by three other men.
    "The suspects demanded cash, but when the employee was unable to unlock the safe he was assaulted," said Cloete.
    Customers
    At that point, two male customers arrived at the store. One of them was shot by the robbers, who then ran away.
    The employee who was assaulted was not seriously injured, said Cloete.
    Massmart confirmed the incident, saying the duty manager was unable to open to safe due to strict security measures in place at the store.
    "The armed men then left the store and in what appears to be an attempt to secure a getaway vehicle, they confronted a member of the public who was parked in the parking lot. A scuffle ensued and it is with the deepest and utmost regret that we have to confirm the owner of the vehicle was shot and fatally wounded."
    Massmart said trauma counsellors are on scene.
    The store, which is now a crime scene, is currently not open for trade, it added.

User

:o(

Carry always... everywhere!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

“He was running away from the whole commotion and then he fell down.”
    1) was he shot? :-/
    2) was he just running away, instinct?
    3) if a gunshot merely sounds like a little old "pop in the distance", i doubt you'd be able to really identify/witness anything concretely at that same distance, no?

User

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...lling-20120222
    Update:
    2 held for Builders Warehouse killing

2012-02-22 12:31 Johannesburg - Two of the four men thought to be behind the killing of a customer at the Sunninghill Builders Warehouse on Wednesday have been arrested, Johannesburg police said.
    Captain Kym Cloete said one was found in the Paulshof area, not far from the crime scene, while the other was located in Berea, near Hillbrow.
    Two other men were still sought.
    The customer was shot dead in an early morning botched armed robbery at the shop in Sandton.
    Scuffle
    Massmart - which owns Builders Warehouse - said it appeared that the robbers tried to hijack the customer in the parking lot after a failed robbery attempt.
    "A scuffle ensued and it is with the deepest and utmost regret that we have to confirm that the owner of the vehicle was shot and fatally wounded," Massmart said in a statement.
    Cloete said employees and security guards were opening the business for the day when they were approached by a man dressed in a security uniform.
    They let him in because he was in uniform. He held them at gunpoint and was joined by three other men.
    "The suspects demanded cash. When an employee was unable to unlock the safe, he was assaulted," said Cloete.
    Massmart said the shop was not open for trade on Wednesday.
    Trauma counsellors would be available to assist employees and members of the public who were present at the time of the shooting.
    "At this stage, our thoughts are with the family of the victim... whom we will provide all assistance as required," said Massmart.