Thread: Pin retention

User

Default Pin retention

So, I have an elliason rear sight on my 1911. It is held down with a little pin. When shooting faster than usual and there's more 'work' being done, the recoil makes this pin worm its way out of place.

So, what should I use to keep this pin in place but still have it removable for any future refinishing/maintenance etc.

Can loctite work? I may have some vehicle silicone handy, could that maybe work instead?

Like I said, I don't want a permanent glue or anything 'cause it must still be workable, but I can't have it worming out and the sight popping off is SHTF.

Buy-a-donkie.

Default Re: Pin retention

Go back to the place that fixed your front sight for you and have them replace the roll pin with a solid steel pin. Many make these from an old piece of correctly sized hardened drill rod, and will very slightly bend or 'bow' the pin before installation to make certain it stays in place. The pin is still removable with a punch but won't come loose like that %$#$@ roll pin will.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by KLRanger View Post
    So, I have an elliason rear sight on my 1911. It is held down with a little pin. When shooting faster than usual and there's more 'work' being done, the recoil makes this pin worm its way out of place.

So, what should I use to keep this pin in place but still have it removable for any future refinishing/maintenance etc.

Can loctite work? I may have some vehicle silicone handy, could that maybe work instead?

Like I said, I don't want a permanent glue or anything 'cause it must still be workable, but I can't have it worming out and the sight popping off is SHTF.

Buy-a-donkie.
    Common problem with the 1911. Do as the previous man says – that is the usual solution to the problem.

User

Awesomeness... Thanks chaps!