Page 1 of 131 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Photos

Default Hunting Photos

Taken with my .416 Rigby
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

Default Re: Hunting Photos

Nice blue wildebeest Frank, good big bodied animal.

Shot this black WB earlier this month outside of Beaufort West. Stalked a small herd for a few hours. We were instructed to hunt very old males only and sexing / aging WB from a distance isn't the easiest thing to do so there was a lot of glassing! Got to within 200m (flat(ish) Karoo terrain) when the herd started to get curious. This guy was lying down so I couldn't sex him 100% (we knew he was old enough though) but when he stood up and gave me a perfect broadside I knew he (yes, and he was a "he") was the one. Had a good dead-rest over a boulder so I went for a straight heart-shot. Shot was a tad low but broke the facing leg (below the shoulder), entered the body just above the brisket, penetrated the bottom of the heart and exited breaking the opposite leg (the shot was taken from a position slightly higher than the animal). Didn't recover any bullet (180gr SP PMP ProAmm + 37.5gr S335) and the animal went down within less than 5m.

Banned

Here's a hunting photo with a lesson, basically don't hunt with a rifle that you haven't sighted-in before the hunt (I know, I know, no need for the lecture). We were out hunting eland when this dandy of a blesbok presented itself. It was a little over 200m when we saw him across a valley and the rifle with the ammo used (Blaser 8x68S, factory ammo RWS 224gr) was zeroed at that distance. I put the first shot on the "knop" and I knew when I saw the animal's reaction to the shot that all was not well in the state of Denmark. Classic gut-shot reaction! Maybe I flinched so I let fly with another shot (230m) to the same point of aim, again... gut-shot!!! Now I was more than a little rattled so I (over)compensated grossly and the next shot just kicked-up dirt behind the blesbok. By now the box was empty so I had to reload and regroup. Blaming myself for bad shooting I put the fourth shot in the (same) heart heart / lung area and the animal thankfully went down (the last shot was taken at a distance of 255m). When we got to the animal the following was revealed, all shots were just behind the ribcage and in the front of the gut:

I'd be happy with 200m grouping like this from a bench! Each shot was in fact true but the rifle was out by a good 3" - 4" to port, which we confirmed later at the range! All's well that ends well but a sobering experience nevertheless:

User

Gemsbok cow shot 2 years ago with my 7x57 in the far south of Namibia.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    Taken with my .416 Rigby

Taken with my digital camera :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wrm
    [Taken with my digital camera :-)
    My dear wrm I have just the the emoticon for you. Best viewed after hitting this link [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpZm1TstpjQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

hpy194 hpy180
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Hi Frank

I'm sorry if I offended you. I really didn't try to.

And I like Lily Allen.

Sorry...

W

Thats a handsome animal grn1
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by wrm
    Hi Frank

I'm sorry if I offended you. I really didn't try to.

And I like Lily Allen.

Sorry...

W
    Not at all, Its going to take a lot more than that to offend me, ask piety. He is trying rather hard though.
    Hope my reply was taken in the spirit it was intended. hpy71

User

Rooi shot about 2 years ago, Kimberley, sporty .303, cheap ass scope about 140m, bullet exited badly

Page 1 of 131 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast