Page 122 of 131 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1307

Thread: Hunting Photos

User

Default Re: Hunting Photos

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Nice young animal Good table fare
    Please give us a bit more details. Rifle, calibre, bullet ?
    Rifle is a Parker Hale in .375 H&H caliber. I loaded a 250gr Sierra Gameking to 2630 fps, a very mild load. The kudu was shot at 70 paces, the bullet broke the near shoulder on entry and exited just behind the off shoulder. Meat damage was fairly bad, the heart was in two pieces. My wife found a few small pieces of lead and some bone chips in the heart while cleaning it for our dogs. Kudu ran ±15 paces before going down.

I love kudu fillets and back straps braai-ed rare to medium rare, I think that only zebra and gemsbok is better as far as large game is concerned. Many people disagree with me though, I guess it is a case of smaak verskil.

User

Awesome photos TStone, thanks for sharing.

Nice young bull.
    That sunrise takes first prize though.

User

Black wildebeest (white tailed gnu) bull shot at 303m (lasered) with a .375 H&H using 250gr Hornady GMX bullet loaded to 2600fps.

User

Very nice, mr Stone...

I have a rather special interest in hunting these, would you perhaps elaborate? Where was the shot placed? Did it exit?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Very nice, mr Stone...

I have a rather special interest in hunting these, would you perhaps elaborate? Where was the shot placed? Did it exit?
    It was angling towards me slightly. Bullet hit on front part of shoulder and exited behind the opposite shoulder.

They are really good to eat. However, they are fairly small, a really big bull will have a carcass weight of 100kg. So, if you can, find a place that sell them by kg instead of a fixed price.
    They are surprisingly tenacious considering their size. Depending on hunting pressure they can be really easy or extremely difficult to hunt. They rely heavily on their sight which is really good. They are prone to seemingly irrational behavior and are often called the clowns of the plains. They are very territorial which makes finding them easy. They are aggressive and it is not unknown for bulls to get killed while fighting with rivals. They make a funny squawking sound which sounds more like a bird than a wildebeest and is where the name gnu originates.

Your .308 will be more than adequate, your .223 not so much :)

User

Hehe... it's for all the reasons you describe (but particularly the good meat) that I have this particular interest! My 308 has accounted for three already... shots between 180 and 230m (150gr Interbonds), but never an exit wound. Next one will be with monos, until such time as I have a rifle caliber starting with "9" or bigger... that's why I'm particularly interested in what the 250gr GMX did.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Hehe... it's for all the reasons you describe (but particularly the good meat) that I have this particular interest! My 308 has accounted for three already... shots between 180 and 230m (150gr Interbonds), but never an exit wound. Next one will be with monos, until such time as I have a rifle caliber starting with "9" or bigger... that's why I'm particularly interested in what the 250gr GMX did.
    They are not very popular with local, or overseas hunters, maybe because they are not well known or because they are quite a bit smaller than their blue cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It was angling towards me slightly. Bullet hit on front part of shoulder and exited behind the opposite shoulder.

They are really good to eat. However, they are fairly small, a really big bull will have a carcass weight of 100kg. So, if you can, find a place that sell them by kg instead of a fixed price.
    They are surprisingly tenacious considering their size. Depending on hunting pressure they can be really easy or extremely difficult to hunt. They rely heavily on their sight which is really good. They are prone to seemingly irrational behavior and are often called the clowns of the plains. They are very territorial which makes finding them easy. They are aggressive and it is not unknown for bulls to get killed while fighting with rivals. They make a funny squawking sound which sounds more like a bird than a wildebeest and is where the name gnu originates.

Your .308 will be more than adequate, your .223 not so much :)
    Always wondered how the meat is? Where we are hunting the cows are R2800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Always wondered how the meat is? Where we are hunting the cows are R2800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've shot 2 BIG bulls and one cow. Last year's bull was old, with worn-down teeth. Regardless, the meat was excellent from all 3 animals.

Cows are significantly smaller than bulls, but R2800 seems like a good price for a cow... I'd be quite interested if not thousands im kms away from the Cape

User

Regardless, the meat was excellent from all 3 animals.
    Interesting. I've only eaten the Brindled/Blue, I find it enjoyable but a lot to get through for 2 people in a year. Eventually the meat grinder comes out and mince is on the menu regularly.

Page 122 of 131 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast